Bumvertising on Jon Stewart

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by katchow, Sep 22, 2005.

1. katchow macrumors 6502

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm curious as to what you think is wrong with this concept. They're giving them food and money in compensation for the advertising.

Even if the whole thing is just a joke, it's not actually a terrible idea.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I don't know of too many companies who want to be associated with bums. Homeless people and bums in particular is still a taboo subject in wealthy America.

4. katchow thread starter macrumors 6502

aside from the name, which is deplorable, does it seem like he's taking advantage of the homeless? for what, cheap advertising? i think the going rates were like 2 to 3 dollars a day.

5. Lau Guest

Also, I'd be much less likely to give money to some guy with a website or advert on his sign. It would shout scam/set up to me. In theory it's not necessarily a bad idea, but until it was established, that's what I'd think.

6. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

I think walking up to a bum while wearing a nice fancy suit and saying "hey want $2?" is a bit, well cruel. It seems as though the way the guy was selling his idea was not too hot. Instead of the $2 I think he should be offering them a trip to McDonalds or something and get any combo off the menu for the sign instead of the cash.

but that's me. I just think his tact is bad for it and I dunno, it is a job and minimum wage (say $5.15 for all day, an hour is pointless) would be a bit better.

Stupid empathy.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

From the link:
    "Money, sandwiches, chips, apples, water, and other beverages have all been dispensed in order to compensate the homeless in the Seattle Bumvertising™ campaign."

I'd be more apt to give an advertising bum a buck or food than I would a "non-working" bum. Same thing goes for performing bums. At least they are doing something to try and earn money.

Lethal

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think they're being taken advantage of or degraded. I think the most degrading thing about this is the fact they're being called "bums." :p

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Did you see the guy getting interviewed on the Daily Show? He's a complete idiot. One homeless woman took the money, but asked if he'd consider changing the name of his project. I do have to agree, the "bumvertising" thing is a little over the top.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I really wish this thread had a different title. For a moment I was afraid we were going to be talking about advertising on Jon Stewart's @$$.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

that would be Buttvertising (TM)

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I miss the daily show :(. I don't own a TV, unfortunately, so I can't watch it anymore.

_Emerson