Bungie - Mythical Fable of a Great Studio?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    I'm a new mac user and have been reading various posts in this forum for awhile now and have noticed a common trend: the idolization of Bungie Software.

What I'm wondering is if the majority of posters here really believe they really were the best thing ever.

In my experience they seem to make the games with the most Potential; but not well realized.

People seem to blame Microsoft for stealing the 'greatest mac developer ever' and by doing so either ruining Halo or taking away the franchise that could have been mac gaming's savior of sorts.

I personally don't see this. Wasn't the last Mac game released by Bungie Oni? I own the game and really liked it but I couldn't help but feel like it was largely incomplete... a great concept that never really got finished. In the end I would only consider it an "OK" game, definitely not great. It was great only in the sense that it made you realize what could have been there... so close to greatness that it deceives us into remember it as if it really was great.

Halo on the other really does seem great to me. I believe you really have to invest a lot of time in the game to really see it though. Multiplayer is where it shines, but it also has an excellently directed single player experience. There is a lot of quality and balance in the game that can really let someone become Skilled at playing, separates the pros from the casual players.

Halo 2 lost this I believe and has always felt rushed and incomplete. Something that Bungie seems to have done before - on their own.

So is Bungie really a Great (or once Great) Studio? Or just a myth, a fabled falsehood that everyone reveres for the things they could have done but ultimately didn't?

Sure, maybe Myth was great, maybe Halo rocked.... but also, maybe Bungie has had their 15 minutes of fame and is now just another Rare.

What do you think about the subject?

death to self,
  2. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    Oni wasn't a great game. Bungie's legend goes further back than that, to Marathon, which was truly groundbreaking at the time and is still one of my favourite ever games. There's a version available that someone ported to OSX if you want to check it out. It was out at the same time as Doom for the PC, but featured 'real' 3D physics, a fantastic network mode, and a compelling background story. And it was, originally, Mac only.

The Mac user angst over Bungie's defection to the dark side is tied in with this. Halo was going to be the 4th and best installment in the Marathon series, and was first developed for, and demoed on a Mac. Then Microsoft stepped in and it all disappeared.

Those were the days....
  3. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Halo's for Mac, and I thought that came after Oni? Not sure.

But anyway, the great Mac tradition of Bungie comes from the Marathon games, which have a HUGE fan base to this day (and even Halo ties into the Marathon universe). Marathon and related games are widely accepted as among the great games of all-time.

(Their commitment to Mac was notable too, since not every game company has that. But that of course changed with Microsoft.)
  4. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    if you look at bungie studio's internal pictures 90% of them have a mac in them, how ironic from a microsoft owned company.
  5. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Bungie... I don't know. I never played Marathon. But I'm more a fan of religious/hell based stories than aliens (seemingly, I've never played!). The graphics look a little strange to me these days. Where Doom still looks normal, Marathon seems to have warped characters and strange looking textures.

I love the story with Halo. This whole giant isolated and quiet weapon floating in space. very spooky. Halo 2 was a disaster to me, didn't have the thing that I fell in love with in Halo 1. No story.

Played a bit of Oni on the PC. Didn't like that much either :)
  6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Just play the damn game, all three are free now (and run on OS X thanks to Aleph One), you have no excuses. ;) It's got about 1000 times the story that Doom had, and gets progressively more metaphysical to the point where I didn't even quite understand Marathon Infinity. (It wasn't until I read the summary in Marathon Rubicon--AKA the unofficial Marathon IV and IMHO better than Infinity--that it made some sense to me.)

Even today there's not much that matches the atmosphere and feel of those games. Halo had glimpses of it here and there. My favorite was Marathon 2, which I thought had the most fun levels and the best story, though I know there are those who don't like the neon colors and prefer the starkness of 1 and 3.

7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Anyone got I link to where I could get Marathon for OS X?
  8. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    Oni was indeed incomplete. Bungie was developing it when it was acquired by Microsoft, and they had a lot more planned for it. In fact, some studio that I forgot the name finished it instead of the original Bungie team IIRC, and to meet deadlines they cut a lot of stuff, including multiplayer and polishing the close fighting system.

I sent a mail to Bungie's founder the day i found out they were bought, and he answered back. I thought it would be relevant to post it but damn I can't find it. I'll have to look at my backups to see if I still have it somewhere.
  9. mac.head.high macrumors regular

Dec 23, 2005
    Los Angeles

Actually no it's not. It's a contractually obligation between M$ and Bungie that Bungie struck with M$ upon accusation. The Bungie Team (especially the audio department) said they would only make games for M$ if they could use Mac: the platform they use and get best result out of. Bill Gates response was: "I just want the best game, so do it". I know from first had experience from Bungie's/Halo's audio team that this is true. I almost fell over when Jay Weinland told me this at an industry event. The funniest thing that I was told, was that the Bungie Team finds a new reason to own the newest of Macs Every Game They Make. As well, Bill just signs off on it every time. He's a jerk, but he's not stupid. Bill is more than aware that Macs are sweet and can do the job, maybe that's why he "borrowed" their OS once before: but I digress.

It is ironic however that Bungie created a game on a Macintosh, yet when it was actually ported to a Mac, it's weak and filled with graphical refresh issues. (Opinion)

However, the Bungie Team (and this is across the boards) is very pissed at M$, because after their game sold a console, M$ never gave them a bonus or even a thank you above their salary paycheck. So expect more bugs in Halo 3 like the ones we saw in Halo 2, i.e. superjumps, and other glitches in the games software itself that are not map hacks or mods. Most of which were more or less intentional in my opinion. Revenge is a dish best served in code.
  10. croshtique macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
  11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    You kinda left out their entire first catalogue, which were the first Mac games (right back to that Pong clone from the '80s), and the game which Halo much resembles and the un-sung hero of the FPS genre - Marathon. I wont say much more, but wikipedia it ;)
  12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    The best software developer for the Mac is Blizzard. They generally release Mac versions of their games very close to, if not at the same time as, the PC version. Not to mention the fact that they make it run just as fast and stable as the PC version, rather than having it ported. They also release timely and effective bug fixes and patches.

Lots of developers say they are committed to making games for the Mac, but Blizzard actually is.

The whole Bungie thing is water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned - they've changed a great deal since the days of Myth 1 & 2, the last great Bungie games for Mac IMHO.
  13. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Nov 29, 2005
    Yeah, Bungie was potentially a great studio for Mac, but it never materialized. Myth was amazing on PC and it plays not to shabbily on Mac, never did like Marathon (it literally made me sick, though I played UT and Quake nonstop for hours and felt great) though it too was a very popular game amongst Mac gamers.

Bungie's involvement in Macs is old news and they've done nothing of note recently, but they were an interesting bit of Mac gaming history.

ONE glimmer of hope that comes from the history of Bungie and holds hope for Mac gaming is: Wideload Games. Wideload was started by Alexander Seropian, industry veteran and founder of Bungie Studios of Halo, Myth and Marathon fame. They recently release Stubbs the Zombie... though with Universal Binary, maybe Mac gaming will pick up regardless.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Iirc, Stubbs The Zombie is XBox and PC only :confused:
  15. Hmm macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2002
    Marathon was my favorite Mac game. I remember the endless wait for it past their ETA because "They were finalizing the packaging." We didn't care if they sent it out in a plastic bag. When it finally arrived, it was everything they said it would be. And the packaging was pretty cool.
  16. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2006
    Wideload Games is made up of the same Bungie sellout losers that dropped the Mac to begin with. Wideload can go bankrupt and save us the crap they release.
  17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Um, yeah, except for the Mac version that came out at the same time as the PC version.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    The first Myth was ONLY for Mac. I'm not talking about Myth III: The Wolf Age...that game stank.
  19. Ringo macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2004
    Not to forget that the game was made by another devlopper 'cause microsoft sold every franchise (cept halo) that bungie had.

(Back on topic): IMO i believe that actually they made a good move by getting bought by microsoft(well i still HATE this move).The fact is that halo would never got the same attention if it was only released on Mac so forget about every mag getting it to a GoTY award. M$ was looking for a great lauching title and they got it and with all the money they have I'm pretty sure they got an offer they couldn't decline.When someone offer you a hell lot more then your worth you cannot pass by and that just what happened.

That just my point of view tought. Oh yea and btw does anyone was actually sastisfy by Halo 2????? Would had been so much better if it has not been rushed out by MS.

And one last thing... Do you believe that bungie will last after halo 3 ? I believe that i could sadly just stop there... :(
  20. macdong macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    wideload games is not founded by former bungie talent.
    in my opinion wideload games is a disaster.
    and Stubbs the Zombie?? bleach.
    it's the worst game there is.
  21. macdong macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i think it's unfair to speculate on something that didn't happen.
    a lot of people, including me, were anxiously expecting that game.