Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
The models did look like they were forced labor workers or something.

And they all look like they desperately need a cheeseburger.

Every time I see these stick figures, all I can think of is bulimia.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Skinny models prancing up and down in over priced clothes for the amusement of arrogant rich bitches and their henpecked husbands. Pathetic.

Not getting what's pathetic about it, it's the fashion industry. Models are suppose to be thin, modeling clothes just doesn't work well on fat women and if you think a bunch of henpecked husbands are there, think again. This is a show where most celebs are sitting in the audience.

Many people could say the same about Golf. A bunch of rich folks sitting an an ultra-boring tournament with deep pockets watching Tiger Woods pretending their poop doesn't stink while eating caviar and drinking vodka.

If it's not your thing, it's not your thing but don't knock the industry.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Assuming it's not a playback artifact, that's probably something related to how the shutter works in a smartphone camera. It's kind of expected.

I think it has something to do with the stabilisation - think it's referred to as "jello effect".

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Skinny models prancing up and down in over priced clothes for the amusement of arrogant rich bitches and their henpecked husbands. Pathetic.
Really? REALLY? Who's arrogant here?

Fashion is a multi-billion industry and this is simply business. Much of those people in the audience are business owners seeing the new line and making decisions about what to carry in their stores.

Catch a clue.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Not getting what's pathetic about it, it's the fashion industry. Models are suppose to be thin, modeling clothes just doesn't work well on fat women and if you think a bunch of henpecked husbands are there, think again. This is a show where most celebs are sitting in the audience.

Many people could say the same about Golf. A bunch of rich folks sitting an an ultra-boring tournament with deep pockets watching Tiger Woods pretending their poop doesn't stink while eating caviar and drinking vodka.

I think the "skinny" comment is a bit off the mark but it's true what you say about golf. Same could be said about WWDC.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Cue the numerous posts bemoaning why an Android phone with better specs wasn't used, ZZZzzz.........

Who cares. The real question is who is the idiot that decided to use a phone for shooting a fashion show. This must be the worst fashion show photo shoot in the last 100 years.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
did they mount an iPhone 5S on a camera rig that runs up and down behind the audience seats? Looks like it.

That's one thing that is such a tease to me - as an amateur, I can barely get my hands on a good lens and camera - but then the equipment to mount and run with the camera can make a world of difference, and that's expensive too!

Yep, rails, as pointed out in the article. And for yourself, google DIY Steadicam. Some very inexpensive options if you're a little bit handy.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It's probably only 720p because Apple still only let you upload to YouTube from the Photos app at that resolution...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Say what you will, but this marketing effort successfully raised awareness. Previously, I had believed "burberries" were those seed pods that get stuck on my dog.

I thought iPhone 5S can record in 1080p?

It can, but 1/4 speed slo-mo is in 720p I believe.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Android fan here who uses my phone camera a lot.. I am blown away by the quality. Might buy one Friday, as the camera is a big feature for me.

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
This is interesting for me as I have done a bit of video using iPhone.

Generally I will import iPhone video into Final Cut X and edit it there.
Sure, iMovie on iOS is cool and all but I am used to FCPX and I prefer to work this way.

Obviously with FCPX you can do colour correction and grading etc so who knows what kind of post they have done here.

That said the video looks pretty decent.
The stabilising equipment is a big help of course and with small hand held devices like iPhone you need tripods and so forth to get the best results and with better software enhancements for motion capture that keep coming it'll only get better.

There isn't much point comparing the iPhone (or any phone) to a dedicated Canon or Nikon camera for obvious reasons - what this proves (aside from using several phones additional hardware) is that phones can be used very effectively as video capturing devices to create some excellent content.

As always the user plays a big part in the end result - shaky, badly shot video can be had from even the most expensive RED camera if you have a bad operator.

What I find interesting is that surely someone in the crowd might have said "WTF - gold iPhones???????
I thought they may have camouflaged them with case but I guess they wanted them 'naked' so they could show the pics on the 5S release.

muadibe

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010

That may be a true statement, but the variety of people and their tastes, passions and creativity, is all part of what makes the human experience interesting.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I think the "skinny" comment is a bit off the mark but it's true what you say about golf. Same could be said about WWDC.

WWDC isn't a "spectator's" show, it's for developers to create their apps on the upcoming platform or hardware so they can make money, it's all business.

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007

THANK YOU! Having worked in the fashion industry, people don't understand that the models are the equivalent of a living breathing reflection of the artists drawings. Look at any concept design within fashion. What does it look like? The model isn't the focus, it's the clothing.

It's like going to Comic Con and complaining that everyone looks like they're from a video game.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
On second thought, go to their website and blow the pictures up. The quality is pretty average at best. Were all of the pictures there taken with the iPhone? The one of the billboard especially... that thing is horrifically out of focus, kinda like all of the iPhone 5 pictures :\

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's amazing how much of that I watched before wondering what I was doing with my life!

Apparently I decided being a condescending prick on the internet was a better use of my time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.