Burger King Hax0red

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Kingsnapped, Jan 8, 2004.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

cmon, they can think up something better than what the article says they are saying....

For example 'And then' over and over ;).

God that scene was good :D:D:D.

scem0

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Sounds like a jackass in the neighborhood here. He's a firefighter, and in the evening he likes to play on his CB radio. Whenever he gets on the right frequency, his voice comes BLASTING as loud as possible out of all the TVs in the house, my stereo, and my Mac here. It's annoying as hell, but we can't do anything about it.

It's even worse when he does it at 4 in the morning. You're sleeping, and then this voice that is at such a low quality you can't understand it comes BLASTING out of my stereo and it scares the crap out of you. You think someone is in the house or something.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha thats pretty funny, although i would just as pissed as you if it happened to me.

iJon

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Sure you can. Since you know who's doing it, report him to the FCC. chances are good he's misusing the frequency. they take stuff like that surprisingly seriously...

paul

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You are correct. Technically if he is transmitting over commercial Radio or Television bands then he is operating a pirate station. It is doubtful that he is using CB, it's probably some sort of homebrew FM transmitter.

neoelectronaut, if the FCC happens to catch wind of this they will confiscate his equipment in a heartbeat.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is actually pretty damn funny - but only if it was done a couple times. For the police to get involved, the complaints had to have been going on for some time. Its too bad .... slightly misguided and the swearing is unnecessary.

Way back when I was in middle school, I was in electronics club. We'd build silly little things from kits you could get via mail or radio shack. One day a couple of us put together a little device that would broadcast noise at the same frequency as the standard tv channels (this was before cable ;) ).

It was quite fun watching people get up and try and fix the tv. Hit the button, and static (on all the channels) - but we never abused it and never got caught.

D

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

My mother has called the FCC multiple times, and each time they tell her that they have no control over it and can do nothing about it.

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I love public practical jokes.

When I was younger, I had a watch that was a universal remote control for TV's. To say the least, it was very fun to annoy the teachers with in middle school when they could never get the TV or VCR to 'work right,' especially when it would pop on in the middle of class.

I even took it to a sports arena (wont tell you which one) and during a Pro NBA game, many of the TV's out in the lobby suddenly switched to Looney Tunes and Who's the Boss. Yeah, lotsa angry sports fans buying concessions that night.

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

If he is bleeding over your equipment that bad he is probably using a linear amp, which is illegal. They have CB's governed down so that they usually don't bleed, but I remember as a teenager my friends CB would bleed over his church's PA system. :)

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sounds like they are trying to imitate the "Candid Camera" routine. The practical joke would be better if the people involved were informed afterwards. If I were the business owner, it definitely would not be very funny.

11. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

What I am wondering about is why the reporter chose to call them hackers? In a sense they were, but I have a feeling very little computer skills were involved...

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's why you should turn the stereo off at night.

13. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Same point I was going to make. This would fall into the phreaking category, to some extent. Reminds me of these (ignorant) kids. Some of the gags can be funny, but their pointless immaturity gets in the way of a good laugh. Bah.

Dan