Burger King to open first "Whopper Bar" - selling burgers & beer.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Unspeaked, Jan 22, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Interesting idea, but crappy selection of beer.

3. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Killing Americans 1 burger at a time since 1963....

4. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I feel like beer and a whopper really wouldn't go well together, no matter how nice the beer. Fast food and alcohol (among other things) just don't mix.

5. macrumors 6502

Sounds like a great idea. If they have Guinness on draft I'm there.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If they're only talking about their mass brews, yeah.

Interesting, anyway. Starbucks is trying something similar with this 15th Ave Tea & Coffee place they opened in Seattle, although they seem to be trying much harder to create the right environment.

I think BK's move would make more sense if they had craft beer and more gourmet burgers, but who knows? I don't really eat at Chilli's, but I guess if I did, this might possibly be an enticing alternative.

7. macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, I agree with this. However I think fast Mexican can get away with it - there's a fast food chain in Texas called Taco Cabana that serves cheap Mexican beer and margaritas, and it's pretty cool. ;)

8. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

BK has discovered a way to make their food even less healthy! :D

The beer won't be anything drinkable, but it's an interesting idea.

Back when I was a Subway employee many moons ago, my boss told me that Subway once used to serve beer early on.

9. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's true. Baja Fresh serves Corona and that works out pretty well.

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The beer might stink, the burgers might be awful but a combo meal of a crappy Whopper, fries and a cold beer for $7.99 will probably sell pretty well in middle America...

11. macrumors 68000

bobr1952

Yeah, I have a feeling the beer will be on par with the burger. Now for me the best place for that kind of burger bar is in Germany, can't say the burgers were any better at McDonalds there but the beer certainly was great!

12. macrumors 6502a

Burger King's economic theory works like this:
    http://www.mathsisfun.com/multiplying-negatives.html

Which wouldn't normally work very well when applied to desirability of food but then you have
    Which evens out the numbers.

13. macrumors 68040

takao

funny how both burgerking and mcdonalds have been selling beer for years over here (at burgerking they have miller or something like that and at mcdonalds an austrian brand

they don't advertise it but i remember that they are selling it at least since 2002

14. macrumors Core

Dagless

They've been selling that stuff on mainland Europe for years. I think it's a good idea too, there's a pub round my way that sells fancy burgers and they get very good business.

15. macrumors G3

NT1440

I dont know, there are an awful lot of college students that can't seem to get enough fast food, but they're already drunk:p

16. macrumors 68000

Antares

Doesn't McD's in Russia offer vodka?

Burgers, fries and beer go great together. So, I think this is a great idea for the King. Heck, when you're eating burgers you want something lighter to drink....like a pilsner. Miller and Budweiser are perfect for that. Flavorful or heavier beers are meals unto themselves.

17. macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Too bad Miami Beach is on the east coast :D

If you count pizza as fast food, it goes pretty good with beer.

18. macrumors 604

anjinha

So weird that this is such a big deal in the U.S. Here you can get beer at any fast food place.

19. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Meh, too bad whoppers are kinda **** for burgers.

20. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

Good idea, the speed most Burger Kings operate at might mean they have time the to pull the perfect Guinness pint :)

21. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. macrumors 68020

leomac08

all we need to see now is the whopper king in an advertising commercial with the slogan

"are you crunk yet?"

23. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Interesting. I didn't know that, not like I really get Starbucks over here anyway.

I once told someone (and also may have mentioned it here) that I thought it would be a wise decision for Starbucks to start marketing to a more adult crowd and begin having more relaxing cafés that served coffee-based alcoholic drinks. With a liquor licence, they'd eliminate teenagers from swarming a Starbucks and stressing out most older patrons who only want to sit, drink a coffee, and stare at a magazine or newspaper. Also, it would be a good place for adults to have a low-key night out --- nothing too rowdy --- and yet offer something different from the typical pub (or Bingo :p).

I was told it was a bad idea, but I was never 100% convinced that it was.....

Again, I agree. I can't tell from the article itself, but if the burgers were a bit more upscale --- possibly a BK with your own choice of toppings (thereby making it a Harveys :eek:) --- it would be a bit more unique. Nicer chairs and decor are nice, but a boutique burger place that happens to serve beer would have been a better way to branch out.

24. macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I don't get this?

Pubs, cafes, and even restaurants in London have been selling burgers and beer / wine together for many, many years. There's at least 10 places within 20 mins of my home where you can get burger and beer. Same again where I work.

Cheap fast-food and beer is a bit different, at least in the same shop, but usually almost every burger bar or kebab bar has a 24-hour off-licence next door.

25. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Hardly a new idea. People have been doing this for years at home it's called a BBQ or for the posh ones a pool party.