Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYhaven

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
This really makes me sick. No burglary that hasn't put someone life at risk should grant you 7 years.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Seven years isnt too long since he also confessed to multiple robberies. Also the amount taken in terms of $$$ was $60000 just for Job's home.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.

That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.

WOW, are you two serious?? A crime is a crime is a crime and the criminal in question didn't do this by accident, nor was he just a victim of circumstance. This was intent. Be honest about it, if someone broke into your home and just took a box of cereal you'd call the feds on him and want the book thrown at him for life because your home was violated and your personal belongings were exposed.

Sadly your responses are most likely due to the fact it was the home of the Almighty independently wealthy Steve Jobs who was the CEO of one of the biggest companies world wide so you probably feel the criminal only deserves a slap on the hand. :rolleyes:

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Wow. Seems like a more fair punishment would be 7 years of having to use a Windows Phone and Surface. If he's caught using an Apple product or glancing through an Apple Store window, he loses a finger.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
When I had a backpack stolen a couple of years ago containing a Lenovo laptop and IPad 1, there was no React squad, no security force, no nothing. As a matter of fact, the police were seemingly reluctant to even take a report!

Equal justice? I think not. If this guy had burglarized Mr. Jeve Stobs house down the street, he, his family, and the local clown would still be happily enjoying their new devices.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Multiple burglaries. Multiple home invasions. He plea bargained for the 7 years. Could have been like 17 years max penalty.

That is a long time for stealing stuff. I wouldn't want to see that much time for a first offender, but since this guy has been doing this over and over at multiple homes, I think it is reasonable.

I've read a few more articles on this, for example http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=28280&e=y

Some things to keep in mind is that he will likely only serve 3.5 years after time off for good behavior, and his lawyer thought the sentence was fair. He did burglarize at least eight homes and make off with at least $500K of stuff from all those robberies, perhaps more, so we're not just talking about a couple of laptops.

----------

Presumably enormous comedy hands.

Perfectly sized for an "iPhone Math."

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
When I had a backpack stolen a couple of years ago containing a Lenovo laptop and IPad 1, there was no React squad, no security force, no nothing. As a matter of fact, the police were seemingly reluctant to even take a report!

You just had a backpack stolen. People get their cars broken into and get the same response from the authorities as you did. Breaking into someone's home is completely different. It's not just about the items being taken, it's someone's home being violated.

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
We also don't know whether this was his first offense or the three strikes rule. Maybe he is a habitual stealer, if so then 7 years seems fine to me..

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Equal justice? I think not. If this guy had burglarized Mr. Jeve Stobs house down the street, he, his family, and the local clown would still be happily enjoying their new devices.

I doubt that would have been the case. In my experience, the cops take house burglaries seriously, since they are often part of a series of crimes. Maybe a break-in in a poor neighborhood wouldn't get much attention, but they probably would be all over the house of "Jeve Stobs down the street."

----------

We also don't know whether this was his first offense or the three strikes rule. Maybe he is a habitual stealer, if so then 7 years seems fine to me..

Yes, we do. He did not get the maximum sentence, so it wasn't his first strike.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
EACT officers found McFarlin with help from Apple security, which tracked where the stolen devices were being used by matching their serial numbers with connections to Apple iTunes servers. The IP address in use matched a line in McFarlin's apartment in nearby Alameda that was also being used by an Apple device registered to a member of his family, according to a police report. [...]

Soooo...they'll do this for everyone when their device is stolen right?

Riiiiiiightt.....

:rolleyes:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
This idiot will cost taxpayers over $40k per year in prison, a place where he is probably comfortable and can meet up with sweaty men.

Better is making offenders work at useful things as work is the one thing they hate and avoid.

G33and

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Harsh sentence for a non-violent crime stealing from a billionaire. wow! Why can't we have a relative law system. This is crap.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Should have executed him, in fact execute all criminals, solves population, tax issues, and makes for a safer place. Simple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.