Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Um, Dubai is in Asia.

Dubai is in The Middle East (which, yes, is a part of Asia).
But normally, when people refer to Asia, or the Asian countries, it is not The Middle East (nor Russia) they are referring to.

And about that gold plated iPad — they should have waited for the 5, shouldn't they.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Check out all the other 24 karat gold plated iBling (and a Blackberry) at Gold & Co.:

slide7.jpg

st1.jpg

st2.jpg

st3.jpg

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
"The seven-star hotel is now giving 24-carat gold-plated iPads from Gold & Co to guests for use during their stay."

"They carry the Burj Al Arab's logo on the back and they are available for purchase in the hotel's boutique."

I'm confused...

I think they are saying you could use it during your stay but you also have the option to purchase one when your stay ends. I know a lot of hotels do that with their bedding and furniture

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I guess it is good for people with nickel allergy. I got blisters on my hands before I got a plastic cover for my iPad.

It might be worth getting your allergies checked. There isn't any nickel on the iPads metal back, it is aluminium oxide. The oxide layer is not plated onto the aluminium in the way chrome or nickel plating is done, it is the actual surface of the metal itself that is converted in the anodising process. (Coloured anodising is done the same way, but afterwards it is soaked in a dye, which soaks into the porous anodised layer.)

crossifixio

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2007
London
I'm all for luxury and pampering guest after all it cost a fortune to stay at Burj! but there is luxury and there is stupidity! A fine oil pipeline separates the two!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Meanwhile in Africa and Asia...

Yes, tell us mother Theresa, what's happening in Africa and Asia? I bet you live a life of virtue,you only eat modest food, take public transit, have no overpriced Apple gadgets, and donate 90% of your disposable income to Africa and Asia.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Call me when they get platinum plated iPads, then we will talk.

I have invented a wonderful new transparent platinum-mithril alloy coating that is so fine that you cannot see or feel it. Once applied, the coating is impossible to damage.

I will apply this to your iPad for the modest sum of $10,000,000. The coating can be optically applied via email - no need to send your iPad by post.

(Disclaimer: coating should not be exposed to young children with no respect for authority).

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
This whole '7 Star' hotel talk is such BS!

There is NO SUCH THING. Yet supposedly reputable sites like this continue vindicate the hotels propaganda by repeating it.

They made it up! They awarded it to themselves and is not recognised anywhere outside their own reality distortion field.

iPads look tacky too.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yes, tell us mother Theresa, what's happening in Africa and Asia? I bet you live a life of virtue,you only eat modest food, take public transit, have no overpriced Apple gadgets, and donate 90% of your disposable income to Africa and Asia.

Touchy.

Mother Theresa is dead, and i'm in no way shape or form her. And even if i had $72bn you won't find me near a 24-carat gold plated iPad.

T
I presume you don't have any luxury items yourself, work for charity and donate every disposable income and time you got ? If not than your (and others) comments are somewhat hypocritical.

Suffice it to say, i do what i can.

But if it makes the two you feel/sleep better, feel free to continue considering me (and others) a hypocrites.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Isn't this the same hotel that has a gold bar vending machine? I've seen videos of it, you put paper currency in and it gives you a gold bar of equal value.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
It might be worth getting your allergies checked. There isn't any nickel on the iPads metal back, it is aluminium oxide. The oxide layer is not plated onto the aluminium in the way chrome or nickel plating is done, it is the actual surface of the metal itself that is converted in the anodising process. (Coloured anodising is done the same way, but afterwards it is soaked in a dye, which soaks into the porous anodised layer.)
Ah, interesting, thank you! In any event, I'm not actually a confirmed nickel allergic, I just assumed so, since it is so common. I also get red marks on the hands after prolonged use of my 2006 MBP, since they rest on the areas next to the track pad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.