burn a .dmg

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by frescies, Oct 28, 2003.

1. frescies macrumors regular

Whats the best way to burn a cd from a .dmg disk image? Toast seems to freak out everytime I try to open a .dmg in it.... Telling me it's not sure if it is a valid disk image and whatnot. Isn't there a way to burn it to a disk from the finder? Or if I mount the image and drag the "disk" into toast, will that make an exact replica?

Thanks for any advice!
    David

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You might try Disk Copy. It will burn images, but I've never tried to burn a dmg though.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, use disc copy, File > Burn image (I think that's what it was in Jag, don't even have a disc copy.app in Panther now!).

4. dethl macrumors regular

Also another note, Toast doesn't like to make a bootable disc when you burn to image. I noticed that when I tried to make a copy of panther off of a .dmg I made. Use disk copy, or disk utility (for those of you with Panther).

5. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

yeah, it was nice of them to let us know that disk copy was moved to disk utility in panther. eh. makes sense. so from what i theorize - is that toast cannot read the invisible (bootable) files on a .dmg, neither toast 5 or 6. so, you have to use disk copy to burn to a .dmg. you may also have to convert the .dmg extension to a .cdr to get the correct result.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Disk Copy's functions have been added to Disk Utility.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know, but things have moved about.