Burn-in my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mediaboy, Sep 12, 2006.

1. mediaboy macrumors member

Hi all -

I am awaiting my first Mac to be shipped (I hate waiting!! arrghh!). Because I spent almost 7 grand on my new setup, I wanted some advise about the burn-in procedure. I have heard about this, but never tried it on a PC let alone a Mac.

If someone could explain the procedure and the benefits I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

All I've ever done on my Macs (from a IIci to a couple of iMacs, a PowerMac, a mini, and numerous laptops) is run them; I don't think any particular "burn in" is necessary, but I do recommend using them extensively for the first few days to root out any immediate hardware issues, and I highly recommend using a voltage-regulated (AVR) UPS to ensure clean power - also make sure the ethernet and other external lines are also safely surge-protected.

Then you should be just fine.

3. mediaboy thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the info.

What exactly is the burn-in procedure? Just running a computer hard? If I need to do that, I can just render one of my AE projects all night.

4. phantasm10 macrumors member

Man, I haven't heard of anyone recommending a burn in period for electronics since the 80's. Just turn it on and go.

5. Mundy macrumors regular

The burn-in process requires that you send your computer to me for several months of intensive testing. :D

Seriously, though, just use the computer. You must have a good reason to put down seven grand on a new system, so I would guess that you'll be stressing it soon enough.

6. mediaboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the insight.

I plan on it putting it to work asap. Just didnt want to miss some "Macism" (Something everyone knows but me!) since I am new to the Mac.

Thanks.