Burn Tiger to CDs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mklos, May 1, 2005.

1. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Has anyone figured out a way to burn the Tiger DVD to CDs? I don't want to give my DVD up for CDs and PAY EXTRA MONEY just to get CDs. IMO, thats a bad move on Apple's part.

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Don't think it's possible unfortunatly. The Tiger installer will call for various packages from the same location. You could always use/borrow an external DVD drive or install using firewire if you are not happy to pay extra for the CD's.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

yeah, using Disk utility you can actually copy the DVD onto an external FW drive and boot from the fw drive.

4. mklos thread starter macrumors 68000

mklos

The iMac I want to put it on doesn't have FW (333MHz iMac G3). I need a CD version. There's got to be a way to make an image of the DVD and then burn it to CDs. It seems to be that when the first CD runs out of space, it would eject the 1st CD and ask for a 2nd, then a 3rd, and so on.

I even went ahead, made an image of my DVD in Disk Utility, then converted the image to .cdr and it still won't burn to CDs. I would think converting it to .cdr would make it burnable on CDs. When I try to burn the image it gives an error saying the inserted media doesn't have enough space on it.

Someone will develop a shareware program that will do this. There HAS to be a way somehow.

Unfortunately, my external FW HD is biting the dust. I just got it 3 months ago too! :( Its actually a external case that I bought and put my own hard drive in there. Its much cheaper doing it that way. If I could get that working I would put the HD out of the iMac G3 into it, and use my iMac G5 to install Tiger on the FW Drive.

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Built in Firewire is a basic requirement for Mac OS Tiger, sorry matey :(

I'm not sure why you think it's possible to burn a 2.5+ Gb file onto a media that will only hold 700mb ? :eek: It's not physically possible to fit the Tiger image onto a single CD. The Finder will not automatically split a file so that it fits on multiple discs. And if you could split the Tiger image, doing so would most like corrupt it. Even if you managed to get that far, the Tiger installer would go mental trying to find all the parts and probably crash.

6. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

my guess is the installer for the CD version is a lot different. knowing where the packages are on each cd. as such you can have it on more than one media disc. the dvd installer expects all files on that one piece of media. sorry man. not gonna happen.