Burn Windows-compatible DVD-R?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by notjustjay, Jul 27, 2005.

1. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Hi,

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere (it probably is...), the search function in the forum just doesn't like me.

So I have a bunch of JPEGs (a LOT) from my new Nikon D70. I want to burn them onto a DVD-R. When I do this (drag-and-drop through Finder) I get a DVD-R that is burnt using the Mac OS Extended file system, meaning it works just fine on my Mac but my PC and DVD player don't recognize it.

When I burn CDs, they mount on PC's just fine.

Is there any way to get the Finder to burn DVDs that are Windows-readable? I don't want to have to buy Toast or some other application. I'm using Panther 10.3.9.

Thanks..

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Dose Disk Utility have and "advanced' Option where you can select both format compatibility? Don't have it readily available; I'm pretty sure Toast offers this feature but notice you don't wish to get Toast.
    X

3. notjustjay thread starter macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, I'll get Toast if it's the only way to do this, since this is a pretty important feature to me. Still, I would have thought this is one of those things that would "Just work". The Finder's burn dialog even says "The disc can be used on any Mac or Windows computer" -- which seems to be true of CDs but not DVDs.

4. DrRock macrumors regular

similar question

Why is it so hard to backup to DVD-R? I've tried several times to backup a folder to DVD-R, and I keep getting "this disc cannot be verified". What does this mean? I follow the insructions from the help menu. I've tried to do it through disk utility, and finder. Am I just doing it wrong?