Burned by a firework?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jul 12, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Anyone ever been burned by a firework? I just was!

I was playing around with those piccolo petes (the whistlers), and I was taking out the powder inside. I lit it, and it was just making a small atomic blast (it had a mushroom cloud!). Just a small poof.

So, we had some like 15 year old fireworks, and they were real small. They are like those ground spinners that change colors. So, I lit one in my hand, and threw it.

like a split second after i lit it, it went off, and the flame went out on my hand. I threw it, went inside, and put ice on it.

I think i can doctor it so it wont blister, but we'll see. Anyone ever had something similar happen?

I will post a photo later

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

it's burnt.....

no never had a similar incident, mainly because I'm not that stupid. sounds harsh but man, that was a really stupid thing to do, things like that are why there are 8 year olds walking around with no hands or a suffering a loss of eyesight.

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Stupid

I don't know if it was really STUPID. Most ground bloomers you can light and throw, the fuse doesnt go down in .2 seconds. But, now I know...hehe

And this cant blow your hand off. Those eight year old must have had some M80s or something.

4. evil macrumors 6502

yeah..when i was younger..like 12 or whatever my friends and i were trouble makers.
    we used to play around with fireworks a bit.
    one time i had a pack of regular firecracker things go off in my hand.
    my hand had black stains on it for over a week.
    it hurt quite a bit, and my mom was very angry.
    the end

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I once got hit in the face with a bottle rocket. Ricoched of my cheek then exploded in front of my face.

It was kind of painful...

P-Worm

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Luckily I never had my burn as bad as any of you guys.

But about 7 years ago I burned myself lightly. The family and I were playing with 8 inch sparklers and I had one in my right hand. I'm not sure if I keep the sparkler too close to me, or if a spark hit me, but something hit my right arm and burned me. I thought there was blood on my arm as a result, but it was a lot lighter in color, flatter, hot, and was dry.

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i was a major pyro when i was little...so yes, i've been burned by fireworks many, many times. it's a wonder i didn't burn our house down.

i went to bed so many times with my hand hanging off the bed into a bowl of ice-water.

so close to being a textbook darwin example....:D

8. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Burned by a firework?

you lit a 15 YEAR OLD firework :eek: :eek:

You lit a 15 YEAR OLD firework in your hand?? :rolleyes: :eek: :p

Crazy kid!!

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

When I was younger I played with a small fire cracker. I lit it and wanted to put it in a low hanging roof drain. Then some part of the fuse fell apart and landed right on my face a little beneath my right eye. Of course I took it away at once, but couldn't avoid that I had a big wound. I was really scared that there will be a scar remaining, but it healed very good, so after a while you couldn't see it anymore. But after this incident, I never made such stupid things again, so you can say, I learned for life. :)

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i used to play with fireworks alot when i was younger. I was never afraid of getting burned like ever my friends and my family kept saying hell lose his eyebrows or somethhing. The one year i had a short fuse and it blew up like a foot away from me annd it justgave me the shakes whenever i'm trying to light fireworks from then on. I can still do it alright but no where near as good as i used to be....

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

some of my friends and I almost blew up a police car this fourth of july...

We lit this ball that was on top of a dud rocket, and the police car drove right over it, and stopped... We yelled at her to move, but she wouldn't... She finally drove up, and the thing exploded right behind her car...

We also had a close encounter with a bottle rocket that fired sideways... I've never seen my friends jump to the ground so fast... It was amazing...

Messing around with fireworks isn't stupid... It's fun. Lots of fun things are stupid, and life threatening, but it's just part of the human experience. Go out and live a little. Don't waste your life staying as safe as perfectly possible. It's no fun that way. Now being careful is another thing... Lighting small fireworks in your hand that normally don't go haywire, or taking fireworks apart to use all of their explosive powder in one mini explosion can be fun... Shooting bottle rockets into a lake can also be fun...

Standing over rockets while they fire off can be stupid... Holding a roman candle with the back pointing at your face can be stupid...

Accidents happen, but it's a chance you take when you're having fun...

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Never really played with fireworks. Never saw the fun. Sure, I lit stuff on fire occasionally ( J/K ;) ), but never liked fireworks. Mostly because I have really good hearing, and anything but sparklers hurt my ears.

Plus I was kinda afraid of blowing my limbs off.

(had one of those Mom's that always made me overly paranoid of everything)

13. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

When I was a kid, everyone would take firecrackers or even cherry bombs and throw them into trash cans to hear the more focused boom. These two kids took an M80 and threw it into an empty 55 gallon drum on a loading dock in the industrial park. Turns out there was a small amount of something very flammable in the bottom and the fireball went up, hit the overhang two stories up, came back down the wall, and burned both of the kids severely.
    Needless to say now that I am a responsible adult, I still go out every year to the res to pick up some fireworks, but I don't throw them into any industrial solvent barrels.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have never been burned by fireworks. Fear has kept me from ever playing with them. Knowlege of the risk is helpful!

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

When I was a kid, we got into all sorts of fireworks (Chicago is veeeery close to Indiana), among our favorites were jumping jacks, bottle rockets - small and large, firecrackers, roman candles, aaand - sparklers.

We'd experimented with taking apart fireworks before to creat new and more dangerous stuff with the piles of phosphor and magnesuim that would result, but then, after blazing the blacktop off of my driveway in several spots, we thought we'd take a 'vacation' from the FrankenFireWorks we'd be messing with and do something we thought was safer - sparklers!

We had a load of about 500 sparklers of different colors, green white, blue, red, orange, and yellow. Well, after boring ourselves for a few minutes with the normal use of them, we thought it would be really cool if we were to bind all of the remaining sparklers together (roughly 480 left) and have one, big, multicolored sparkler.

So we placed each sparker, wire tail in the ground to hold the mass together, so we were left with this spikey stump of sparklers about a foot in diameter.

We wanted to light it from the center so that it would burn across all the sparklers, but it was difficult to get them going.
    <flick>
    <burn>
    "Ouch!"
    <flick>
    <burn>
    "Ouch!"
    <flick>
    <burn>
    <crackle-spark-spark-PHOOMP!>

Instead of a nice, typical - but larger sparkler burn we were expecting, the sparklers teamed up and the entire mass went up at once. This resulted in a five-foot diameter ball of white light, that transformed into a sparkey mushroom cloud.

Luckily, the ball only lasted a split-second so there werent any burns, but we'd lost all the hair off of our arms up to the elbows, our eyebrows, lashes, and a lot of our hair was singed.

The sparkler stump was now fused and glowing orange with the grass surrounding it burned off in a two foot diameter circle.

It looked like an episode of "Little Rascals".

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I feel sorry for you... Fireworks are so much fun.

I have never gotten burned by them though, maybe by a lighter when lighting one. But I've never had any serious mishaps when it comes to fireworks.

scem0

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Please don't scem0, I just don't happen to be a risk taker. I have for the most part been a very cautious person. I bought fireworks once while out in Nebraska where is was legal. Had some guests on the 4th of July. It was my neighbor an experience teenager like yourself that set them off for me. All of us had a great time! ;)

I tend to use the Nursing Process approach, gather facts and determine the proper course of action!

18. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hehe, thats a good story patrick.

Anyways, to follow up on my firework story. Im not gonna post a picture, because its nothing bad, its just a blister like the size 2 quarters.

And, I went out to see what those fireworks really did. So, I read the instructions. They said "Place on soft earth. Light, and get away". I went outside and did so. I ran back about 15 feet, and this thing went off.

It shot, directly towards me like a frickin bottle rocket. I moved, and it curved, and flew over my house into a yard. It seriously went like 150 feet.

And, its supposed to be a ground spinner! Its the size of a....well, its like .4in in diameter, and 3/4 inch tall!

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

When I lived in New Jersey, fireworks were illegal.
    Now that I am in Maine, fireworks are illegal.

The closest drive to legal Fireworks is either Canada or Pennsylvania. (rolls eyes)

As for that M80 story... [​IMG]

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

MacAztec -- where is that photo?

Last year I was burnt by one, not baddly, but I had scrap stuff fall on my head. *ouch*

The worst was when the person put it in the wrong way it blew up the cement bucket.... :eek:

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Then consider yourself as lucky as a Windows user who's never had a crash (ha!).

Sometimes fear is a bad thing. Crippling, detrimental, especially when irrational. But sometimes it's a good thing. Keeps us alive. Stops us from blowing ourselves up.

Besides, now that you've said that...

Better go knock on some wood. ;)

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

What about New Hampshire? Aren't they legal there?

23. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I did something similar to that with sparklers this year... It wasn't with 480 of them, but just about 15...

I lit them, and they turned a bright white for a few seconds, and then died down... Everybody was like "what the f*ck was that!!!"

I can only imagine 480 sparkers going up in a manner similar to the way my 15 sparklers did...

24. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-G4scott

I'd say give it a go, but use one of the sparklers as a fuse to give you time to get away :D

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Burned by a firework?

That's why the fuse burnt so fast.

Best not to be near old fireworks..... ;)

Been burnt plenty of times, never had an M80 go of near me, but one time my brother was blowing them off and put one in a mailbox at night. I managed to ride my bike by at the right/wrong time and felt the air of the mailbox lid pass in front of my face :rolleyes:

Not good - and I think I chased my brother down after that one. Needless to say, its lucky we aren't missing fingers because of our own stupidity as kids....;)

D