Burned flesh

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, May 5, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I know this may sound macabre but stuff like this fascinates me.
    Can anyone tell me what burnt human flesh smells like?
    I'm talking charred corpse, or some charred flesh.

I need to cut back on the CSI watching.

2. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Here's how to find out...

1.) Turn a burner on your stove on High
    2.) When burner is glowing red, sit on burner. ( preferable while naked )
    3.) When smell becomes noticeable, analyze smell.
    4.) Turn off stove and get up.

Seriously though... From what I have read, Human flesh closely resembles pork. You may get a close approximation by burning some form of pork cutlet.

Max.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

pork is somewhat accurate. you can tell it's roasting meat, but it's slightly sweeter smelling than most meats. it should be noted that if it's just fat that's burning, the smell will be different (fainter and more acrid, i think).

burning human flesh is something that you can't really describe, but you'll know it if you ever smell it. i'm fairly convinced that nature has programmed it as a "this is not OK" response in your brain...

paul

5. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I did burn some of my flesh once. I have some 'proud flesh' on my middle toe and it just keeps growing a callous. I cut the callous off sometimes and I have a nice little chunk of hard skin.
    So, I was curious and I took a lighter to it.
    Kind of smelled like burning hair. It was bad smelling. But I don't think it really counts. It was just skin; not fat and muscle tissue.

Why would I want to know this? Well, I'm not really sure.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife is a registered nurse also. She took care of burn patients while working in intensive care. According to her there isn't a smell unless there is an infection. A burn patient is very difficult, it is a very critical situation. The first major problem is fluid loss. Infection is always a problem due to the loss of the bodies first line of defense the skin. The pain is great and they suffer agony almost daily with (debridement) removal of dead skin. :(

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's during recovery. JesseJames' question is about the smell at the time of the injury, while it is burning.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife took care of burn patients, just after injury. Intensive care is the critical phase. Recovery phase occurs after they leave critical care. She managed the actual life and death phase, managing fluids being foremost. Also guarding against infection and managing the pain.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

that's nice. we're talking about burning flesh tho, like on fire or just afterwards, think still smoking. Really I don't think burn injury repercussions and recovery process was the idea. especially as he mentioned CSI, which would really denote dead bodies. And the fact that he used the word "corpse".

paul

10. yzeater macrumors regular

I smelled cauterized flesh in an operating room, does that count? I can't describe it, but it made me want to throw up more thany anything ever

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    if its just the skin the it smells like hair and fingernails burning. If you get down the meat as it were think pork.

12. coopdog macrumors 6502a

This is a weird ****in thread. One time I was doing a trick w/ a lighter I had done before. Well this time it didn't work and i burned ALL of the skin in a 1" diamiter around and in my belly button clear off. All of the top layers were gone. IT ****in stung like a mofo! Very bad pain. And a very bad smell. It's smells like meat and buring hair and just bad.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it don't smell yummy i can tell you that

it also depends with what its burning with because accelerants can change the odor obviously

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i once burnt my thumb on a in-car cigarette lighter, the little electric ones. it wasn't glowing red, so i didn't know if it worked, and this was a car we were test-driving. so i touched and lighter, and it was damn hot! :eek: there was a sizzling noise and it didn't smell too good either, and was unlike anything i've ever smelt, or want to smell again. but that was just skin i guess, not really 'flesh'.

well i guess we know a clowns flesh would just smell funny. :p oh dear, that's really bad.;) :rolleyes: :D

15. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have caught myself on a soldering iron several times which leaves behind a nice line of scorched blackybrown skin and i can tell you it smells horrible. hard to describe it exactly, a hint of burning wood and otherwise just a horrible smell. sorry my description isnt that good!

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It has a distinctive smell.

Very hard to describe.

Maybe a cross between burn hair and over cooked pork. But that is not exactly it either.

Kind of like trying to tell someone what a bullet sounds like coming towards you. Easy to recognize if you've been there but hard to describe.

Sushi

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've never personally smelled burning flesh, but I'm quite certain I'd know what it was without prior knowledge. Much like paul said earlier, I would imagine it's one of those innate responses we as humans have without question.

18. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    kind of off topic but not really

So my buddy and I used to do some freestyle frisbee back in the day. You know, beautiful spring day, state park, out running around looking at beautiful scenery if ya know what I mean....
    Anyway, one Sunday we were playing disc and the most wonderful smell enveloped us - BBQ-like, but different somehow, with a smell so palpable that you could almost taste it. We decide to drive around to find the source, figuring we would just invite ourselves and grab some lunch. We gave up after an hour or so, but the smell was still intoxicatingly present.

Perhaps you know where this is going......

Open the paper the next day......

Barn fire.
    25 horses perished in the flames.
    2 people, too.
    Felt sick.
    Still do, when I think about it.

I try not to think about it.

19. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Warning, bad taste humor.

Well, I guess anything can smell good when it's grilled. :D

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

But what would be the evolutionary advantage of an aversion to that smell, scientifically speaking?

If it was you burning, pain would be enough of a signal to cause you to attend to the problem. The smell of others burning might alert you to fire danger, but you'd feel the heat (and probably see the fire) anyway. If it was somebody else in your social group burning, they'd certainly make noise to alert you so you could help them and preserve your group. If it was a stranger burning, you might ignore them. If it as a different species burning, you might eat them. I'm talking about animal instincts here, not proper behavior in a society, of course.

21. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Make sure you use a good dry rub before you grill ;)

22. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Reacting to fire and it's consequences is a very basic innate instinct I believe. The odors just ring the alarm bells deep inside our brains that there is something SERIOUSLY wrong that imperils survival.
    I wonder if fire truly does qualify as a living thing. It breathes, it consumes, it reproduces to some extent. And with the proper chemical reaction, it can be born from water like most living things.

23. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I just burned my arm on the stove.

Too bad we don't have smell-o-mail cause I would send everyone a copy. :p

24. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Also, you would have to imagine a situation in our species' past when fire was such a frequent threat that those averse to the smell of human flesh were naturally selected. I'm having trouble imagining such a situation. The pain of burning is sufficient to make people cautious around fires.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant