Burning a CD over a network

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Marz, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Marz macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I just got my iBook G4, but found out it was the education discount one. So it only has the CD-ROM drive. I also have a PowerMac 7200 with an external burner. Is there a way for the iBook to recognize that drive via iTunes, or CD burning software? Or do I just need to transfer the files to the PowerMac and use the burning software on it?

Also, on the same subject. Is it possible to just "upgrade" the current drive to either a Combo or Super drive in the iBook?

P.S. Yes, eventually I'll get an external Super drive for the iBook.
  2. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2002
    Los Angeles, California
    Roxio Toast does have the ability to recongnize CD burners over a network. The only problem would be upgrading the 7200 to OS X in order to install the software. I'm sure it is possible, but it might be more trouble than its worth. Maybe someone around here has some advice about putting OS X on a machine like that. If you can get OS X and Toast on there, you should be set.
  3. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    The PowerMac 7200 has a PowerPC 601 processor. Mac OS X requires a G3, so unfortunately no, OS X cannot be installed on it.
  4. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Im not sure if the 7200 is in the list, but you can try XPostFacto for installation on pre-G3 macs.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    You might look into upgrading the internal drive on the iBook (somewhat pricey) or getting an external CD-RW drive (Firewire, relatively cheap). Like this one. Thats a 52x32x52x fully OS X supported burner. I own that same burner (in a different case) and it is very fast and quiet. For only $99, you can't beat that deal.