Burning a DVD so my playstation2 can play it

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bobbyboulders, Jan 28, 2007.

1. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    Title states my dilemma pretty accurately. Basically i would like to know how to burn some .avi files onto a dvd, and then be able to play it on my ps2 (as it is currently my only means of watching dvds, in my room). I am using 'Burn' as my burning software.

Are there any step-by-step tutorials on the topic?

2. bozigle macrumors regular

Your PS2 can't read random files... it needs the dvd structure.
    So you can either convert your avi file into something that iMovie can undestand mov for example and then from iMovie send it to iDvd and burn. I think Toast can also do it directly... you have to check on the supported import format of toast8 but avi should do

3. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2006
  4. xlosltove777 macrumors member

Sep 19, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Just to warn you, I've had some serious issues with burnt dvd's and my PS2, it'll play some but not others. The newer one's might be better?
  5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I find my PS2 is picky about the media it will play. Imitation media works sometimes, but Maxell will work almost all the time. You will just have to figure out what your PS2 likes.
  6. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    bmb012, as previously mentioned i am currently using 'Burn' and it doesnt work.

I will try the other things mentioned....thanks
  7. aj98 macrumors member

Nov 16, 2006
    iMovie, Flip4Mac, and iDVD.

Create a new movie in IMovie.
    Drag/drop your AVI file from the Finder to the clips panel.
    Edit as desired
    Share with iDVD.
    Open with iDVD, select/edit themes

use the magicmovie feature, which bypasses most of the steps above.
  8. butaro macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2006
    There is a PS2 Media player that can be installed to your memory card, however this method requires first hand being able to boot backup CDs, After this is set up its quite easy...