Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zenvision

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
London
I've read numerous posts here saying that its possible to use AVI files in iDVD to make a DVD, but I can't figure out how to do it. I have a series of AVI files that I want to burn to a DVD that will work on any DVD player but iDVD won't even let me preview them (I just get a blank black screen)...

I have VisualHub, but I'm not sure what to do...

Someone help me out!

Thanks

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
use ffmpegx convert your avi to dvd file, then burn it.
iDVD won;t work on dixv/xvid/h.264 untill u have proper codec installed (im not sure about iDVD even after you have codec installed.)

zenvision

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
London
The thing is, I want to use iDVD's theme for the DVD...can I not just change the format with visualhub and drag the converted files into iDVD?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i don;t know visualhub, but you are right, the problem is to make your video recognizable in iDVD.

zenvision

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
London
So does anyone have any advice as to what I should convert the AVI files to so I can import them in iDVD?

shimster

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007
avi to idvd

ok I'll give that a go!

If you have Quick Time Pro, you can open your avi file in quick time, then save as .mov file. You can then drag the .mov file into idvd and burn away. HOWEVER 16x9 aspect ratio seems to change to 4x3 !!

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I've managed to turn .avi files into a DVD using iDVD, so I think it might be a Codec thing. Can't remember which codes I've installed over the years though so I can't help much more than that. Sorry.

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
Heh, I've done the same, but what I did was I had iDVD use "Best Performance" on there, and it takes the full length of the movie and re-encodes it to a DVD quality (which usually means pixelation).

It works fine, and if you keep the iDVD project, it won't re-encode it everytime. But what the others suggest is probably safer and better for your DVD.

Steve

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Try downloading Perian, which probably will include the right codecs. As long as QuickTime can play your clips, you can burn them in iDVD.

jlove3g

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
burn dvd using .avi in idvd

I'm a newbie and have many .avi files that I want to put on dvd using idvd as well. I have tried many times but can't get it to work. I'm wondering what I need to do to put these movies onto dvd. I have a macbook that is only a couple months old and runs the latest OS. If I need to download a program to convert the files into another format, a free one would be best ($ is an issue).
Thanks!!
Jake

george.thornton

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
NY
is there an app like Visual Hub? everybody talks about it being so good but can't get it anymore and also what causes the screen to go green when you try to play a dvd that was burnt with iDvd? the dvd menu works great but when you click on the movie to play it goes green the format was avi

luckyjames

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
I've read numerous posts here saying that its possible to use AVI files in iDVD to make a DVD, but I can't figure out how to do it. I have a series of AVI files that I want to burn to a DVD that will work on any DVD player but iDVD won't even let me preview them (I just get a blank black screen)...

I have VisualHub, but I'm not sure what to do...

Someone help me out!

Thanks

Just google search "How to Successfully Burn AVI with iDVD?", you will find many ways to successfully burn avi to dvd with idvd

good luck

garrick619

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
xvid encoded avi files in iDVD

Try downloading Perian, which probably will include the right codecs. As long as QuickTime can play your clips, you can burn them in iDVD.

I second that motion!

With Perian installed in my System Preferences (for the correct codec), I CAN play XVID AVIs in QuickTime, and when I try to drag them into iMovie as "assets", it WORKS.

I can fit 4 "hour" (aka 40 minute American TV shows) on a Double Layer Disc using the "Best Performance" setting in iDVD -> Project Settings. Looks like there's even a little room to spare on the DVD if you wanna go crazy with custom themes or what not. Creation process when all assets reside on the same Drive is roughly 2.5 hours.

Granted: I dont *know* if the codec in Perian, or the "Best Performance" setting is allowing me to do this, but it works on my crappy DVD player in the living room :D. However I suspect it is the codec, otherwise iDVD wouldn't even let me use the files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.