Burning a DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zwhaler, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ok, I searched the forums, wikipedia, and the MR guides and nothing really helped me. I have a DVD (movie) that I want to make copies of and I need to know how to do that step by step, I havn't burned DVDs before so I don't know what I'm doing.

I don't have any software to do it for me, but I do have anything that came preinstalled on my iMac that might be useful. I tried it on my own and failed miserably (copied files from DVD to my computer, burned those onto a blank DVD) so I guess it is more complicated than that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. By the way I am using DVD-Rs for my burning.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Use MacTheRipper, rip the dvd to your computer and put those files to a blank dvd and burn it. :)

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

4. TAV macrumors regular

MTR might not be necessary, depending on what kind of DVD you are referring to (commercial vs. home-brewed). Regardless, if it is commercial, you will need an additional piece of software to compress it to fit a single-layer DVD-R. If it is home-brewed, you can use the Disk Utility on your Mac and the MTR step is not needed.

If you are under the impression that you can simply drag and drop the resulting MTR output files (Video and Audio TS files) onto a blank disk and expect to get anything that will actually play in a DVD Player, that is not correct.

I'll wait to see where you are on this....

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ok, I am done with MTR, all I want to do is have the burned DVD (I havn't burned anything yet) play in a DVD player. What is it that I need to do? Thanks.