Burning a multi platform CD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jarikokko, Oct 1, 2003.

1. jarikokko macrumors newbie

In reply to Taft in another thread in June: "My question is, has anybody had luck in burning cross-platform CDs on a Mac? If so, what method did you use? Any suggestions for my situation?"

Other users reporting "works for me" is not very useful.

Like your friend, I also sent a cd to my dad (a Win95 user) burned with 10.2.6 Disk Copy as a "Mac extended" fs which he couldn't read. Trying to make a cd with MS-DOS fs fails with the message dialog "the data on this image will not mount properly when burned to a disk". Apple's solution is basically "use another fs type".

I think unfortunately her options are: 1. get someone else to burn the cd with a pc. 2. Buy Toast 3. Tell your dad to upgrade the windows. And maybe: 4. Send the cd with Unix fs. I'll try "4" next.

Jari

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i had never realized it, but disk copy doesn't seem to allow you to create standard ISO images. if you burn a cd by just dragging files to it from the finder, or start out with a .iso file it will burn in cross-platform format, but disk copy doesn't seem to allow this.

for the time being, i'd suggest burning it in the finder. it sounds like you can burn it in dos format, you just can't read it with your mac once it's burned (not a big deal if you're going to be using it on a pc anyway).

HFS or HFS+ (mac and mac extended) will not work on windows at all, but i think there's a way to view them on linux.

don't use UFS, i seriously doubt windows will be able to handle that either. burn it in the finder for now, it's really easy.