Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Having some platform compatibility issues, hope you guys can help.

So my friend, who is a Mac user, is trying to burn her pictures onto a CD so her dad, a PC user, can open them. Because burning a CD with the Finder is supposed to generate a hybrid CD that is readable by Windoze and Mac OS, she tried using this method. This resulted in a CD that was readable on the Mac, but not on a PC.

I haven't tried this method myself, so its possible she just did it wrong. I'll try this method myself when I get home from work.

However, I suggested that she try Disk Copy instead. I knew that you could create a disk image formatted with MS-DOS, so I figured that would work. It doesn't. You can create the MS-DOS image, mount it, copy the files to it, etc. But when you try to burn the image, you get the error "The data on this image will not mount properly when burned to disc." The image will not burn.

This error is covered here with a typical "Screw you!" from Apple's tech support when a solution doesn't exist:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25479

My question is, has anybody had luck in burning cross-platform CDs on a Mac? If so, what method did you use? Any suggestions for my situation?

Thanks in advance.

Taft

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've burned CDs before (using the normal method, not Disk Copy) and they worked just fine on Windows machines. I have a Powerbook G4 667 MHz w/ 512 MB RAM and a Combo drive, if that makes any difference. I'm quite frankly stumped.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
what version of os x is your friend using?

10.2.1 I believe. Definitely an earlier version of Jaguar.

I asked her to try the Finder method again tonight and gave her a few tips for doing it. I guess we'll see tomorrow...

Taft

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Taft

Yeah, I've actually done some mass duplication using the Finder method - and they were meant for PCs.

Worked just fine on Win98, Win2k and XP.

DeKa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
My bet is that the files do not end in the correct suffix (eg .jpg .gif ) so the Windows machines don't know what to do with them.

Check that :)

I have burnt numerous cd's from my mac and they're readable on anything.

Derek.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.