Burning an iPhoto CD from another computer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Thomas Harte, May 1, 2006.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Here is the setup in my home:

- a PowerMac G4, with a decently large iPhoto collection but no recordable CD or DVD drive
    - a PowerBook G4, with a CD-R drive
    - a wireless network that connects the two
    - iPhoto '05 on both

What I really want is to be able to use the PowerBook to burn a CD of the collection on the PowerMac. But it seems you cannot burn iPhoto collections that you are viewing across the network, analogously to the way you can't burn iTunes music that you only have access to via a share.

My next idea was to use the PowerBook in Firewire target disk mode. But it seems that it only shares the hard drive, not the CD-R.

So my only question is, can anyone think of a more elegant solution than copying all the photographs over the network to the PowerBook, then burning them from there? I'm reluctant to do that because on the relatively old hardware that I'm using iPhoto imports take absolutely ages, and Finder burnt CDs never seem to work in non-Macs. The objective is to be able to view the burnt CD via a DVD player.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well this may be a good time to consider an external HDD for back-up purposes. Then you can use it to allow your PB to burn the CD by setting the location for the iPhoto library to the external. And you will then also have a back up to boot (no pun intended).