Burning .avi files to DVD?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TB3eb, Jul 6, 2005.

1. TB3eb macrumors newbie

Hope someone can help?

I have a load of .avi (video files) that i would like to burn to DVD so i can watch on my DVD player at home instead of on my Mac at work. Is it the case of just dropping the .avi files into toast and burning on normal DVD settings or is it more complexed than that???

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

If you can play the avis in Quicktime (i.e. having the right codecs installed), then it's just that easy.

3. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

I used to drop avi files into Toast to encode them to dvd. Took a long time.

Then I started to learn how to author dvd's the right way at http://www.videohelp.com/ . Still a length process.

Now I burn the avi's to CD and play them in a Norcent divx player that I picked up for $45. Quick & easy.

4. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

I can watch them on my mac yes, so just burn them in toast with normal dvd settings and they will then play in any dvd player????

seems to easy??? ha ha

5. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

I was converting my avi files to mpeg then burning them onto a cd and watching them through my dvd player, only problem was it looses to much quality. I want to just burn the avi files to dvd and watch at home, such a simple thing yet so difficult...????? Thansk for your help those who replied.

MORE HELP PLEASE

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Just to make it clear: you have to be able to watch them in Quicktime. If you can watch them on your Mac using VLC or something else, then it's not sufficient.

But I will gladly say it again: if you have the right codecs, then you can drag the file into Toast and burn it as a movie DVD and it will work (but the encoding will take a long time depending on the size of the avi).

7. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i will give it a go. I do have the correct divx and can view the avi files in quicktime on my computer so all should be good. I will try it tonight. Thanks for your help.

8. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

Playable .avi > Toast > ISO9660 CD > Divx/DVD player

Will give you much better picture quality than ...

Playable .avi > Toast > encode > DVDr > DVD player

9. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

what toast version are we going to need and on OSX or OS9?

I have osx - toast 5.1.1

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Forgive a stupid question (maybe). I have a new LG DVT418 DVD stereo system. It plays DVD's burned in the "traditional" DVD format (with the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders) just fine.

Looking through the manual, I see something called DVD VR (video recording) format. Going the ISO9660>DIVX/DVD player route you mentioned, I assume that this is the DVD VR format?

Also going your route would be a work around to the roughly 690mb limit for the AVI>Toast>DVDr>DVD player conversion?

Thanks for the help.

11. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

DVD_VR is a special format that some set-top dvd recorder appliances use.

putting divx files on a blank dvd is just that. many reasonably priced DVD players these days support MPEG4 playback, or DivX Playback (wording may vary) and these will just look at the disc for any avi files it can play and off you go.