Burning .AVI

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thechris69, Mar 22, 2007.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Hello, hello:apple:

Ive got 2 .avi files which are part of a movie... one file is the first half and the second file is the second half of the movie... so i want to put both of these files together and burn them onto a DVD... so my intention was to drop both files into iMovie, put them together, then export them to iDvd and burn them onto disk... however... both files are 700 mb and iMovie predicts roughly around 80 minutes to bring each file into iMovie... is there a more practical way to burn a .avi file onto DVD?

Im not familiar with toast, handbrake, or mactheripper so im not sure if those programs deal with burning .avi to DVD... If they do.. can someone tell me a simple way on how to do this? One Thousand Thank You's!:apple: :apple:

2. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Okay then , try this.

Download the app ffmpegX located here (http://www.ffmpegx.com/), get the tools it tells you to, then click on the Tools tab and then the Join tab underneath it. It should work. You'll know it doesn't if it fails (obviously).

Now download Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/) and drag the file under the Video tab and into the DVD part. Then just click burn.

All done.

3. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

:apple: :apple: :apple: thanks a lot! can i transfer 2 files into one tho? u no wat i mean? i have one file, which is the first half, and a 2nd file, which is the second half... so can i put those 2 together to make one file?

:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

and then can i import it into iDvd wen im done? cuz i want a cool menu:D :D

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

VisualHub does everything you want including burning the movie when it is complete.

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Toast can burn .avi's. It costs money, but it's probably the easiest method.

6. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

:apple: haha... sorry. but i went with my traditonal method of combining the 2 files in iMovie...

visual hub cost to much and I couldnt find out how to make the 2 files one file in ffmpegx...

SO i exported the movie in high-quality to .dv format and the file is to big for one dvd disc... 6.7gb or sumthing... so is there a way to compress the file to fit on one standard 4.7 gb DVD disk?:apple:

7. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Toast can shrink DVD images, as can DVD2oneX.

Both, however, cost money.

8. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

I have run into a problem, if anyone can help me i will be greatly thankful...

Ok, the original movie file I had... the 2 files, one file is the first half of the movie, the 2nd file is the second half of the movie... the .avi files... the only player that opened them was VLC, wen they were still in the original 700mb .avi file... quicktime and realplayer had errors opening the movie...

so i exported the 2 files into iMovie to combine them and make one large movie, but in iMovie they had no sound... i guess because iMovie reads the movies in either .mpg or .dv thats why I assume it didnt work, because it was originally a .avi file that had trouble opening in .mpg friendly apps such as quicktime and realplayer...

the movie works flawlessly in VLC wen in its original .avi file, so how should i get the 2 files intertwined into one file and burn it onto DVD with full sound?

Thanks for reading this, any help would be greatly appreciated!:apple: :apple:

9. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I'll say it again then. Download the app ffmpegX located here (http://www.ffmpegx.com/), get the tools it tells you to, then click on the Tools tab and then the Join tab underneath it.

Now since you say it doesn't work in QuickTime then this next part might not work. Download Perian (http://perian.org/) and Burn and follow my instructions in my previous post. Now if it can burn them it won't stick up a fuss, if not, it'll ask you if you want to convert them to MPEG-2 and save them somewhere. If that works, follow the instructions.

If it doesn't work, tell up what ffmpegX says it is under its Summary tab (codecs for video/audio). I can't help if I don't know what kind of AVI it is.