Burning AVI's to play in DVD players

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blink7551, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Blink7551 macrumors member

Jan 26, 2005
    I am not sure if this is a very very simple question or a painfully difficult one to answer. But basically, I have 13 AVI files that are 22 minutes in length (140MB each). I want to burn them to a dvd+r and put them in a dvd player and hve them play. How should I do this?
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    there is a software called "burn", check www.macupdate.com for it

or go buy a dvd player that can play avi file for $60.

PS. do some search, this question has been asked many times before, u might find more comprehensive posts through search (search for DVD)
  3. Blink7551 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 26, 2005
    I have a dvd player that can play AVIs, but I am making these dvds for a friend. And she doesnt have a dvd that can play AVIs. Her computer doesnt read CDs, but have a working DVD player in it. This is the only option I see available.
  4. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you want to convert AVIs into a format playable by a DVD player (that is, a DVD Player that doesn't play AVI files), then you'll need to convert them to MPEG-2 and package them up for a DVD Player to recognize.

There are a number of apps that will do this, but iDVD will do it and let you create menus. The conversion from AVI to DVD can take a while, though.
  5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    search button dude. million threads like this.

Buy Toast
    Drag Files
    Click big red button
    Insert DVD into player.

**BUY TOAST**
  6. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    If QuickTime can play those AVI files, then just use iDVD. You may have to create more than a few DVDs, as iDVD limit is I believe 1.5 or 2 hours.
  7. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    iDVD is only limited by the size of the disc. Standard single-layer discs hold 2 hours of video. Dual-layer discs should hold around 4.
  8. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia

Quoting the webpage:

...Fit up to 18 hours of video on one DVD. Play it in any standalone DVD player...

VisualHub is the best app I have found for doing this. Toast with the correct QuickTime components comes in a distant second.
  9. georgeoommen macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2007
    I agree VisualHub is very good at converting video formats. But my question is, after converting using VisualHub, how do i add menus and buttons so that i can choose which file i want to play in the dvd? Is there a way of doing this or do i have to use something like iDVD? I find iDVD a little excessive as all i want is a very simple menu.
  10. Natia. macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2008
    I did this and when i put the dvd in dvd player, i can see subtitles and i hear the voice but it dowsnt show the image :(, can you tell me why?