Burning cds in tiger??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Malus, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm still new to this mac thing, I know how to make a music cd, but how do you make a data cd??

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Stick the CD in. When the window pops up choose Open In Finder. Drag the data files you want to the disk. Burn it (drag it to the trash is one way of starting the burn).

If you want to make data CDs of music file that are in iTunes you can do it from inside iTunes. Simply change the burning preferences.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just insert a blank CD-R(W) in your burner, make sure that System preferences -> CD & DVDs -> When you insert a blank CD is set to Open Finder (or Ask what to do), it will then appear on your desktop (unless you disabled that by un-checking CDs etc. in Finder preferences -> General). Just drag over the files you want to burn and in Finder choose File menu -> Burn Disc...

Alternatively you can make a New Burn Folder in Finder, fill that and burn...

Very easy...

For advanced options check out Disk Utility (free and included in /Applications/Utilities) or Toast (non-free 3rd party app).

Edit: Beaten... :eek: Too detailed... ;)

4. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, there is no window that pops up when I insert the blank disk. It just directly opens itunes.

It dosn't show the icon on the desktop or on the side of the finder window, like it does on my ibook, any suggestions?

Thank you.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Look at System preferences -> CD & DVDs -> When you insert a blank CD (as indicated above)...

6. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh...thank you very much! I'll get used to mac sooner or later, hehe.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Thanks for the help guys. I have autoplay turned off in XP (as should be done), and may or may not turn it off once I switch. Thanks for the "How-To".

As a side note, is it better to leave autoplay on or turn it off in OS X. It seemed like XP was just being annoying with it. I know what I really want to do when I put a disk in, so I dont see a point in it. Just wondering if you knew something special about it.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm...this is the second time this week that this question has come up. I'm not complaining -- I have a question. On fresh Tiger installs, how is this setting set, if it is not on "Ask what to do?"

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

System Preferences > CD's & DVD's > When you insert a blank CD...

Its in Mitthrawnuruodo's post.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't understand your answer. I know which setting is involved. What I'm asking is, if it is not set by default on new computers to "open in finder" or "ask what to do," what was it, before you had to change it, to get CD burning to work from finder? Was it set to "do nothing?" Mine was already on the ask setting... which is why I've never had the problem which inspired this post.

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sorry, mkrishnan. I thought you were asking how to set the option, while you were asking what the default setting was. My Mistake. :eek:

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No worries. You wouldn't happen to know, though, would you? :)

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

Nope, sorry. Im stuck on XP at the moment... Maybe after Paris I'll tell you :)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15. mcmillan macrumors 6502

To burn audio I always use iTunes. For data, I find the burn folder method the easiest. File>New Burn Folder>Drag all you want there, open the folder, and click the burn icon :)

16. devman macrumors 65816

devman

ditto.