Burning .dmg ~vs~ iso

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LabbatBlue, Mar 8, 2004.

1. LabbatBlue macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Im in a bit of a bind here..
    I have a Mac system, and a PC (Windows) ...
    And I have this .dmg File, now I want to convert it to a .iso file...So I can burn it, then put it on my Mac, and install it....
    (I assume thats possible) If so, how would I convert it?
    From .dmg, to .iso ?
    Ive tried a few things, nothing seems to work ....
    (Also, Mac does not have internet access, so I cant send it to the Mac)

But if there is no way for me to burn the .ISO, then put it on the Mac, and install it, I was going to see if there is any burner software that supports me just adding the .dmg file ...then clicking 'Burn' and it burns...
    I know someone told me Nero does this...but I dont use Nero too much anymore, because every time I try and burn any type of CD, weather it'd be data/audio/video/ it always in the first 60 seconds of burning comes back and says "Burner Underrun" And I dont really know how to fix it, so I j ust use
    Alcohol 120, so if anyone knows any other burners besides Nero to burn .dmg files with, that'd be great, or if anyone has any tips on my few dilemma's here, help me out lol :(

Have a good one guys,
    Labbat

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i don't think there is a conversion. just make an iso image of the image or make copy the files out of the dmg and make iso of that.

3. dudeami macrumors regular

You might try using Nero and slowing the burn speed down to 4X and I think you can choose to write at once. I'm not sure if that is the exact setting but i think it is, the slower speed should also help prevent the underrun.

4. LabbatBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

ReL

Ok, guys, thanks for your feedback...

Ill try slowing my burn rate...
    Nextly, to superbovine
    I kinda follow what your saying..I mean it makes sense, but its where you say
    'just make an iso image, of the image'
    I have a .dmg, and a .iso....So what excatly do you mean? :)

Thanks again

5. Stolid macrumors regular

Stolid

Nero has an 'image writer' device you can select as your burn destination which creates ISOs. At least my copy does :p

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I'm confused... why not mount the .dmg, go into Disk Utility, select it and click Burn?

7. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Because the .dmg is on a PC.

8. LabbatBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Ok, Monitor this thread, Im going to fire up my Nero here, and see if I can get it to Mount a .dmg file, tomorrow Ill burn it, and try it on the Mac, and see if it works...

Thanks
    Labbat

9. vniow macrumors G4

Open Disk Utility, convert the DMG file to a CD/DVD Master (it'll have the extention .cdr), change the extention to .iso, transfer it over to your PC and burn it with whatever software you have.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm pretty sure there isn't an app for Windows (or Linux even) that can open and/or burn .dmg's. But I think the idea of encasing the .dmg in an ISO image then burning the ISO would work. As you'd be burning the ISO which contains the dmg. Then you could mount the CD on the Mac and open the .dmg from there.

BTW, I like you new 'tar vniow ;) :D

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This works. I've done it before.

12. lind0834 macrumors regular

Seems that many people here are confused about the topic here.
    Labbat has a dmg on a PC, and for whatever reason can't put it on the Mac directly.

I have never tried burning a dmg with Nero before.. didn't know that it could, but for quite a while they never officially supported burning bin/cues. :)

Anyway sounds like the main problem is "burner underrun".. which usually means for some reason the CD is trying to get written faster than the Hard Drive can send the data. To make sure everything is cool, repair any problems on the hard drive and defrag it. Make sure some other process isn't using major CPU or RAM. And if all else fails burn at the slowest setting.

13. dudeami macrumors regular

I would just burn the dmg as a flat file to the CD, and not try to have the PC burn this as a disk image. I checked on the wording today in nero. On the burn tab you should choose disk-at-once, if you have the newer Nero make sure the Smart Burn option is checked and choose a slower speed. The Mac sould not have a problem reading this CD, just copy the file to your Mac and it shouldn't have a problem mounting the disk image.

Hope this helps.

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Sorry if I'm off topic... but your nick caught my attention.

Moi je préfère une bonne grosse varte (Labatt 50)

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Wish Apple would rid themselves of the .cdr extension though and make it save as an iso by default. Not many people know of this trick.

16. commadner_graph macrumors newbie

i have the same problem......

Hey guys i have problem of the same subject. I have a Mac and I have Windows. My mac is version 9.2.2 not (osx) so i cant use disk copy to change my dmg file to .cdr and then change it to iso so i have to take a diffrent route. (uh here whats funny my dmg file is panther os x 10.3 400 somthing mega bites)

17. ebuddy889 macrumors newbie

If the Mac has os X on it you can easily network it to the PC and and copy whatever files you need over.
    Why play games with cd's and disk images?

I'd buy a G5, but i'm not rich.....

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

:rolleyes: If you hadn't said what it was, we could have helped you. But per Da r00lz we can't :p

19. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

whoops! Oh well he can always go to some other forum that supports this kind of stuff like MSJ...

20. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

If you have Windows XP and a CDR drive, you can just go into My Computer, click on the CDR drive (with a blank CD in), drag your .dmg file in there and click "Burn the Contents to CD". It's pretty straight forward, if you're using 2K or god help you one of those "others" you have to go out and find a utility. download.com should have something.

Dave

21. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

how about getting a X-over ethernet cable and connecting the 2 computers back to back. Then move the file to your mac.

22. captainmoe macrumors newbie

help me

I am having kinda the same problem. I want to know how i can burn mac osx (a dmg file) on a pc and install it on my second drive (windows on it now). Can any1 help?

23. weenur macrumors newbie

I just used this to convert a DMG to ISO. Works great. http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

24. eeeRIE macrumors member

Can't you simply compress the .dmg file (to .zip, .rar or whatever you want), and then write it onto a disc as data rather than a disc image?

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I may be wrong here but from memory just change the file type to .iso and windows will burn it do the reverse on Mac