Burning DVD's: Handbrake vs Popcorn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swiftaw, May 13, 2005.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I am planning on backing up a few of my legally purchased DVD's. I plan on ripping them using MactheRipper and then burning them to a DVD-R.

From what I have read here, many people use either Popcorn or Handbrake to do the burning and I was just wondering what the pros and cons of each are.

EDIT: I should also add that I would like the resulting DVD to play on most standard DVD players not just in my Mac.

Thanks

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Handbrake doesn't produce DVDs that will play in standard, standalone DVD players.

3. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

And popcorn does?

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Yes, that's all it does. It will recode a DVD folder that contains the entire title, allowing you to dup the DVD, or select the main movie, sound track and subtitles, down to DVD5 (it support DL burns, also) and burns it.

5. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

So just to be sure, before I buy it, Popcorn will take the VIDEO_TS folder produced by MacTheRipper, and will compress and burn it to a standard DVD-R disc that will be playable on a stand-alone DVD player?

Thanks

6. gMac macrumors member

Yep! I use MTR and Popcorn for all my DVD backup needs.
    MTR decodes and rips.
    Popcorn compresses and burns.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Popcorn and MTR are a great combo. After our house fire all 100 of my DVD's burned up. Luckily I had a list of all my movies in Delicious Library. I didn't feel like buying all those movies back again so I am just borrowing them from friends and reburning them. Granted I lose all the special stuff but that's ok, I never viewed that stuff. Now when DL DVD's come down in price, burning movies will be the same as burning music.

jon

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

House fire ... bummer. I've been through that, although I was but a teen, at the time. It's difficult to express the sense of loss. I had a beagle puppy at the time; he did not escape. Sorry for the OT.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It's all good. It's all blown over anyways, just a matter of rebuilding. There is a whole thread in the Community Section when I posted about it about 2 weeks ago.

jon

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Yes, OK, I remember. You also lost a friend last year. I'm sorry. I've been there, too. Again, forgive the OT.

11. clearaway macrumors newbie

CD Labelmaker

Can anyone out there email to me a recommendation on which labelmake is best to use on the Mac (G3 System 10.4). Are there are free programs for the Mac that are worthwhile?

Thanks
    Al
    alyetman@rogers.com

12. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes