Burning DVD's...HELP!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tedcroland, Aug 17, 2005.

1. tedcroland macrumors newbie

tedcroland

I have been having trouble making some DVD's out of some AVI-Divx encoded files. I have tried to burn them direct to DVD's, but this does not work, it will not play on any player I try. Should I try MP4 format, or should I give up entirely. I am using Toast v. 5.2.3.

Thanks

Ted C. Roland

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

DVD players only read MPEG-2. You will have to convert them to that format and then burn them in some program that can generate the necessary headers and such (iDVD or Toast should be fine). But you definitely need to get them into MPEG-2 first.

3. AppleSJ511606 macrumors member

Alright, I must first say a few things before I go in depth.

First, Toast MAY be accepting the Movie format, though that format MAY NOT be "good" (compatibatle) with the DVD players. Now either one of two things are happening: 1)The movie file itself it damaged in a way that Toast can't see - but damaged enough it wouldn't play on a DVD player or 2)Like I said before, the format of the movie file may not be what toast REALLY wants.

1) in THIS case I would suggest to try to re-download or re-import the movie you'd like to turn into a DVD. ( Try 2) first )

2)This is the problem that I run into much more frequently than 1) , but in anycase all you have to do is change the format of the Movie - sounds simple enough right??? well...yes. DiVX formated movies are most likely filed as a .avi (this format and .wmv's are trickiest for macsters because
    macs really don't like to burn .avi or .wmvs....at all)

Now there's 1 of 3 applications to change the format of the movie ( most of which are free )

1: Quicktime Pro. Open your movie in it and export it as any of the listed files (even a Toast ready format!)

2: ffmpegX. This little app can pretty much do anything except walk on the sun! it can change almost any format of movie...to almost any format movie with options galore! (not to mention that the way the app is written and how everything is done is quite quicker & nicer than nay of these 3 apps)

3: forty-two. This app is usedfor changing DVDs into normal movie files I guess. I've read atleast 3 other forum pages that suggest this to convert .avi to whatever format ( I wouldn't suggest it - I haven't had the best of luck )

Good Luck! :)

4. tedcroland thread starter macrumors newbie

tedcroland

Hey!

Well, thank you guys! This has been really helpful and I think that it'll work now!

Thanks again,

Ted C. Roland

5. tedcroland thread starter macrumors newbie

tedcroland

Problem...

ffmpegx does not work. It tells me to download extra extensions when I start up the program, but when I do, and finish all the steps, and say "install", it tells me that it can't find them. I did everything it told me to, but it didn't work. Please help!!

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Toast 7 will make this process easy. Can't wait for this software.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have been waiting for Toast 7 for ages - does it actually have a release date yet?

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, and I absolutely, positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt don't like Mail In Rebates, so count me out of the beta toasters loop. :cool:
    X

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~