Burning DVD's - Roxio, Mactheripper, DVDzone, etc..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ontheuptick, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ontheuptick macrumors member

A few questions.. I just bought an Intel iMac. I want to burn DVD's.

1. Should I wait to buy DVD burning software until they make it Intel ready?
    2. What should I get, Popcorn, Toast, other?
    3. Am I right that I'll have to download mactheripper to rip the disc, and then use popcorn or toast to burn it?

Thanks

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

naturally you wouldn't need Mactheripper because it's only neccessary for removing the copy protection from DVDs which would be illegal.

DVD2One (and similar) are only neccessary if your video files are bigger than 4.3Gb and you don't want to use dual layer discs, but i don't remember it being that expensive in any case.

Imaging can be done with a freeware imager (like DVD Imager)

Burning (once you have an image) can be done with Disk Utility.

The only bit you have to pay for is the compression/editing program, so not a big deal and i imagine they'll have either a free upgrade or a small upgrade fee when they produce a Universal version, which might be a ways off.

3. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

I cant seem to get mactheripper to work. Is there any other alternatives to this software for the intel Imac. Thanks

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Dual layer disks are like $2-7ish.
    Single layer disks are less than 25 cents. :)

MacTheRipper makes copies of the DVD. Tis illegal, and whether or not it falls under fair use is iffy.

cliffrouse11bas - try versiontracker or macupdate, they might have other apps that do something like it.

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

sorry - i meant that DVD2One (and Popcorn etc) aren't that expensive, in comparison to dual-layer discs which are.

Lots of apps will copy DVDs, only Mac The Ripper (as far as i'm aware) will copy protected DVDs, by disabling the copy-protection, which is what makes it illegal - copying per se you can get away with under "fair use", disabling copy-protection on the other hand is illegal, i think under the Digital Millenium whatsit act, which is why Mac the Ripper can be hard to find.

(all covered previously here)

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

IANAL, but yes I'm aware of the DMCA, as well as parts of US Copyright law - it doesn't explicitly state that copying falls under fair use - and like i mentioned in the thread you referenced,

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

sorry (again) :eek: - missed that. a lot of posters here seem to think ripping is ok under "fair use" is all (which it may or may not be), just re-iterating the point that that's not the issue under the law (like you said), even if it is ridiculous.