Burning DVDs to read on a PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Euan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Euan macrumors regular

Hi,

First, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Secondly, I am posting this on behalf of my g/f.

Now the problem... she has a Powerbook at home with a superdrive. She has burnt DVDs (not using iDVD) that contain Photoshop files (Photoshop 6).

She wants to access these DVDs (on a PC) at work to get the Photoshop files (she's got photoshop CS at work).

When she puts the DVD in the PC it will not read the DVD... is there any specific reason why this wouldn't work? Should she use iDVD and use specific settings?

I don't have a Mac (yet!) so it's harder for me to help her.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Euan

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

3. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Have asked her, will let you know when I hear from here.

Thanks, have emailed her the link. I don't know if thats what she does at the moment.

EDIT: She uses OSX 10.2.8 - don't know if this makes a difference.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It will not matter, burning has been supported for quite a while. That link is the same for burning any thing, whether for mac or windows. So if your g/f has been using Finder already there is something else to it.

5. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

One solution is to have her burn data DVDs within Toast and make sure to select the hybrid PC/Mac option. Also, is she burning double layer DVDs or single layer? If she were burning double layer, maybe the PC drive would have trouble reading it (but it seems all DVD drives should be able to read double layer--but some drives may be finicky).

7. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Hi spinne1, thanks for the reply. I'm waiting to hear how she burnt here DVDs before to see if she did it through Finder (which should create it as a hybrid format).

8. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

I found this page... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61342

Does this mean that she won't be able to use Finder to burn in hybrid format? Could she use iDVD to burn in hybrid format?

Thanks for your help.

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

There's the problem, like i said above iDVD is used for creating a DVD based menu system for your movies.

I did a simple search for an app and came up with this:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/BurnX-Free.shtml

I can't recommend the app as I have not used it, but it looks goo and is compatible with 10.2.

10. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, looks like that could be it.

Thanks, I had a look at it. Looks like it should burn CDs ok.

Anyone know any other similar programs that would burn CDs but also DVDs?

11. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I think it should be fine with a DVD disk, its like Finder, you create a burn folder and insert the disk and burn away. When the disk is inserted, seeing its a data CD it acts just like a CD but with more space. If that makes any sense.

Just give the app a go, if not here's another app which is a trail:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Dragon-Burn.shtml

Or if your g/f knows a bit she can create a .dmg and use terminal to convert it to .iso.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050819185219196

12. cube macrumors G4

DiscBlaze is pretty cool.
    However if you burn to DVD-RAM you can't add stuff to it later. For this, it's better to use Disk Utility (to format) and just drag files to the disc in the Finder.

13. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

14. cube macrumors G4

I don't find Tiger to be great. I think it's better to get a cheap burning program.

15. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

What I usually do when burning DVD's of any kind - be it a movie, or files, etc - since I don't have a SuperDrive on my iBook, is this:

If it is a DVD movie created in iMovie/iDVD:
    1) Open the completed project in iDVD, and save the project as an image.

2)Transfer the new image file to a computer with a DVD burner via network, email, etc (sometimes you can get an image small enough to burn on a CD, and can transfer the file to a capable computer that way - even DVD movies, as an image is an image, regardless of contents).

3)Burn the image to a DVD on the new computer. On a Mac, open Disk Utility, drag the image to the left panel, and click 'Burn'. All done :)

---------------------------
    If it is several random files, sometimes of differing file types, I do this:

1)Select them all, right (ctrl) click, and 'Create Archive'...this will zip all the files into on package.

2)Transfer the zip file to another computer, same as step 2 above.

3)Unzip the contents on the new machine, and burn them to DVD. If on a Mac, I open the blank DVD in finder, drag the files, and click burn.

16. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Folks, thanks for all the feedback. I'll take a look at all the different applications tonight and see what feedback each software has.

At least there are a few software options which should all do the job.

17. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

If BurnX works with DVDs then I think that will be the solution given it's free! ;)

Will let you know the outcome.

18. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

DeSnousa is right on the money again. I went from 10.2.? to 10.4 and the difference is amazing. Everything seems to be faster, more streamlined, and of course the added functionality of Tiger.

19. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

I suspect her plan is to upgrade soon but her main objective at the moment is to get work from her PB onto a PC... I think if she needs to buy software to burn then it would be best upgrading to 10.4 and using Finder to do the job instead.