Burning DVDs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Pausebasiks, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Pausebasiks macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a DP 1.8 PM and a lot of avi files on my computer. I was wondering if there was a way that I could burn the avi files on a DVD and watch it on a standard DVD player. I have a lot of anime that i want to watch on a big TV instead of a 17" monitor. I havn't tried but I doubt most DVD players would play AVI files. Thanks.

2. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I could be wrong here, but I believe if you set Toast to do a Video CD, change the little CD/DVD indicator to DVD (click on it, it's just above the big button in the bottom right), and then drag your files in, Toast will convert them to the proper format...

Like I said...I could be totally wrong...

3. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Roxio Toast Titanium will do want you want. You can select to make a DVD then drag your video files over. Toast will convert your video files to the proper format and burn your DVD. Not sure if theres a way to do it without Toast, but if you have Quicktime Pro and iDVD, it might be possible.

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You don't even need Quicktime Pro. I do it with iMovie and iDVD. Just make a video in iMovie that's of the AVI file and burn using iDVD. (Using iLife '05 BTW)

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Just thought I should add if you are using Toast to do this you need to have the quicktime codecs installed to play the video/audio stream.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have used Toast to do exactly what you are wanting to do. Just drag your AVI file into Toast, set it up to burn a DVD and you should be good to go! Just keep in mind the length of your AVI(s) and how much you'll actually be able to fit on a DVD. Just because you have a 700 MB AVI does not mean you can fit 6 of them on a 4.7 GB DVD. ;)

7. Pausebasiks thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Let us know if you run into any difficulties or have any further questions. :cool:

9. Pausebasiks thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i tried using iDVD and iMovie and they wont support avi files. Is there a way to convert avi files to a format iMovie/iDVD can understand?

I tried using toast too but it's looking for codecs or something :(

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, as a previous poster said, you'll need to ensure the proper QT codecs are installed. Another site which I've always found helpful in general is this one.

11. Pausebasiks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Shard,

I'm checking out that website right now. BTW does anybody know were I can get the QT codecs Toast is asking for?

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Geez, I should know the answer to that, but I don't - I installed those codecs a LONG time ago and haven't needed to worry about them since! Either try a Google search for "Quicktime codecs AVI", " Quicktime codecs Toast" or something along those lines and see if you can find anything. Otherwise, hopefully someone here will know...

13. Pausebasiks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again Shard!

BTW what is that picture on your Sig?

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem!

Are you asking about ym picture, or my sig? ;) My sig is just comprised of favorite quotes of mine which I change out every once and a while.

My avatar is Harvey Birdman, one of my favorite cartoon characters. If you've never seen the show, check it out, Season 3 is starting up soon I believe! If you like stupid comedy like Family Guy (another one of my favorites, in fact I went through a whole series of Family Guy avatars prior to this one) then you'd definitely get a kick out of it! Basically, the producers have secured all the rights to all the Hanna Barbera cartoon caharacters, so they can do pretty much anything they want with them. Harvey Birdman is a lawyer, and fights cases for other characters who run into trouble - Fred Flinstone is a mafia boss (The Dabba Don), Shaggy and Scooby Doo get busted for smoking pot, and so forth! Awesome show. :cool:

15. bcsmith macrumors member

You can try the Divx codec as well. Once I downloaded it from here I didn't have any issues playing avi's in any program.

Hope this helps you out.

-- Ben

16. Pausebasiks thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check that out for sure. I love Family guy. I just bought season 1,2,and 3 recently. I'm a Graphic Designer/Digital Artist at an animation studio(Nelvana) in Toronto. One of my favorate shows that they did here is Clone High. That was a really funny one too. That's one of the reasons I want to learn how to get these avi files onto DVDs. I love stupic/funny cartoons and anime. I have a huge collection and want to be able to watch it anywhere. :)

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Very cool - I own the Family Guy DVDs as well. And from the sounds of it, you'd LOVE Harvey Birdman, so look into that as well. Season 1 is now on DVD, but I don't know when Season 2 will be released - I have them all recorded and in AVI format myself...

One other Family Guy thing - in case you haven't found it yet, check out this thread. :cool:

18. Pausebasiks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks bcsmith,

I downloaded the DIVX thing and it worked like a charm. The only bad thing is I can only fit 4 30 minute episodes on one DVD. Ah well, better than nothing.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's about right though, as a standard DVD can only hold 2 hours of footage (just think of movies). If you want to truly maximize your space you could attempt to fool around with encoding settings/formats to change the video and audio formats/compression, in which case you could try playing around with ffmpegx. However, this is perhaps getting into more complexity than you need/want, and a lot of trial and error would be required. Regardless, just thought I'd throw it out there for ya. :cool: