Burning ISO 9660 Formated CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by brandon6684, Jan 3, 2003.

1. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    I have to use CDs to transport files in between PCs and Macs. Under 10.1, I would just get the disk ready as an MP3 CD and put files on it. Now that's not an option. I can't find any way to make a ISO 9660 CD under 10.2. Even when I make CD master images, it just picks MacOS Extended and no options for te file system. Is there any way to make it work without buy expensive CD burning software.
  2. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    well, I'm sure it can be done, go to file and then new in disk copy, and it has a pull down menu in that window, you can't specify ISO 9660 format, but you can select MS-DOS format, which I think uses the same format as ISO 9660 , this is the only thing I can think off
  3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

If my memory is correct, OS X always burns CDs as ISO9660 as default.
    I think I read the same kidna Q&A as yours in a Mac magazine in Japan.

Try burning one, and see if PC reads it. It probably will.
  4. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    You are correct but I don't know if this is correct for MP3 cds burnt using iTunes.
  5. yamadataro macrumors 6502

iTunes burns MP3 CDs in Mac CD format, you mean?

Well, iTunes use DiscBurner thingy as well, as I understand. So I think it's the same deal as the desktop CD burning: these are ISO9660. Besides, MP3 CDs are basically a data CD with MP3s on it. If it's not in a standard format, you probably can not play in on MP3 compatible CD/DVD players.

And needless to say, if you burn it as a music CD by iTunes, there's no compatibility problem (except with old CD/DVD players that don't read CD-R and RWs).
  6. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Aha! You just triggered something. I burn MP3 discs with iTunes regularly and use them in my Kenwood car deck and they work. Except iTunes isn't burning the ID3 tags correctly so the names don't show up.
  7. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Hold on, cool guy! :D
    The chances are 1) your Kenwood player is compatible with MP3 disks or 2) You've burned your CD as music disks. If that disk plays with ordinary CD player and only contains 10 to 15 songs, that's a music CD you've made with iTunes.

Well, anyway, coming back to the ISO9660 topic, I think all the disks burned on OS X are ISO9660 with the exception of other CD burning software and iTunes' music CD burning.
  8. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    i thought maybe he was referring to cd-title, which i thought was great when burning my own cd's. if this is the case they are of course audio cd's not mp3 cd's
  9. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    No, I have a Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 which is an MP3/CD player. The great thing is going on a 4 hour one way trip and having enough music on one disc that you barely run out before you get home. Nearly 8 hours is you sacrifice a little quality.

My point of saying that the MP3 discs from iTunes worked in the Kenwood was that the Kenwood only accepts ISO9660 formated MP3 disks. Therefore iTunes and the system do in fact burn in ISO9660.

I knew the system did but I had questioned iTunes but through my own actions I already had the answer.

As I said the iTunes doesn't seem to include the ID3 information when burning an MP3 disc. I can burn the same songs with Toast and the Kenwood will recognise the ID3 tags and it will not if it is burned using iTunes.