Burning itunes shows with idvd?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by velarde, Jan 29, 2007.

1. velarde macrumors newbie

Hello:

I bought a bunch of "heroes" episodes using the itunes store.
    they have an .m4v extension and iDVD won't recognize them...

I want to make a regular DVD so I an watch them on my TV and DVD player. Is this possible using iDVD..?
    Is there a work around or am I screw.d?

thanks for any idea..

fjv

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

:apple:tv

3. velarde thread starter macrumors newbie

besides apple TV..? :)

I wanted to burn a DVD and not have them in my computer... like 450, 500 mb each... x 12 epsidoes...

I was thinking that in itunes I can burn music CDs (from my playlists), but I'm guessing its not easy for VIDEO content bought from the itunes store ( burning DVDs)...

Just checking if there's a legal way (somebody else has done it) or I shouldn't try...

thanks

fjv

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

iTunes disallows you to burn video files to DVD's. To my knowledge there is no way to do this.

P-Worm

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There isn't a legal way (or an illegal way that I'm aware of) to burn protected iTunes videos to CD or DVD.

6. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Apple has not included burning DVD of their movies and shows in the licensing of them. Right now it is technically illegal. I'd bet that apple will add dvd burning into the licensing of the .m4v files after :apple: tv has been out for a while.

7. velarde thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks people,

Just wanted to confirm this. ( maybe I was doing something wrong)

I guess I'll just backup them as a regular file/data DVD and erase them from the computer.

fjv

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

What about Video Podcast

Can you burn a DVD video of Video PodCast?

9. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

TO ORIGINAL OP: :apple: TV is just about the best way to go if you really want this. And getting an external drive if your computer is stationary would be the best way to "Free up Space".

The only thing holding you back is Apple's DRM... :rolleyes: Thats why the Europeans hate it..

As far as video podcasts... You should be able to if they are free.. which most of them are. Just drag them into a iDVD project and burn away. As long as there is no DRM (Digital Rights Management) software on them than you should be fine.

I just tried importing the MWSF Keynote into iDVD and it worked just fine. (It was a free Podcast)

10. velarde thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that an .m4v file..? or another flavor like mpeg or something..?

fjv

11. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Yes it is a M4V file. The problem here is not the type of file, but the restrictions of the movies/shows you buy from iTunes.

Edit: IDEA!!!: Okay so what you can do if you have an iPod is hook it up to a TV using a camcorder cable (just switch the red and yellow cables), then using a DVD recorder type device or even a camera with passthrough, play the video file and push record on the DVD recorder or camera. Then you should be able to "record" the show.

Note: This may be beyond fair use and near illegal, I am not sure about the laws so I would check up on this before attempting this.

12. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

That's exactly what I wanted to burn.

Thanks

13. samjim59 macrumors newbie

IF the iTunes video have no DRM protection, you can burn to DVD via iDVD.

14. JasonA macrumors member

If you want to free up DRM-protected files, look for Requiem. Not exactly "legal", but if you paid for the content, you should be free to play it on whatever medium/device suits you.