burning multiple copies in iDVD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dopey220, Aug 24, 2006.

1. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

I put together a DVD in iDVD, and once I was finished it took four or five hours to burn with encoding and rendering menus and all that. Is there a way to "save" all the rendering and encoding and all that so when I want to burn another copy, it'll save all that time?

2. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think it takes quite as long the second time as it sves some of the encoded data.

The best thing to do in the future is (instead of burning the normal way), go to File> Save as Disc Image.

Then you can burn that disc image using Disk Utility, or any other burning software.

This way, you only have to go through the encoding once.

3. dopey220 thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

cool, thanks.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Also,

If you have the 1st burned DVD, you could do a copy of that, rather than re-encoding the iDVD project, etc.

Disk Utility could probably handle it, but if you have Toast, it would probably be easier.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I would have thought it would be better to burn a disc image as a master and burn from that each time. It would be better than copy a recording...or are reading/writing burners so accurate and Toast so efficient it makes no difference??

In any case, it only takes a matter of minutes to burn a disc image.

6. daze macrumors 6502

daze

You're right. Just burn the master as an image, and make copies of that. Otherwise iDVD will take a long time again to render and burn again.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

there's a how-to in the apple knowledgebase on this. It's quite easy if you do it right.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think that a copy of a DVD made with iDVD would be exactly the same as one burned from an iDVD image. After all, it's digital. You're just copying bits and data.

That's true, but the original poster has already burned his project with iDVD. He did not create an image first. So he really has two options. He can re-encode his iDVD project as a disk image and then burn the image. Or he can use Toast (or even Disk Utility) to copy his DVD.

I contend that using Toast would be much faster.

In the future, it would be easier to create the image directly from iDVD.

ft

9. DrRock macrumors regular

^

In several threads, I have been avised and instructed on how to burn a DVD with Disk Utility, but I have not had any success n doing so. When I tried to use Disk Utility to burn a DVD, I got an error message, something about a failure of the laser or something. Then, I tried again and was able to burn two in a row no problem. Then after that, I had two more fail in a row. The message I got on those was "Unable to burn disk, disk verification failed" So I don't know what to sy. Maybe use the disk image method, but close and re-open disk utility in between attempts.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Here's the kbase article.

apple kbase

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I think you're talking about a burner failure. The burner in my iMac that I bought just over a year ago gives me a lot of errors, on various discs. I guess it happens when it gets too hot. On the other hand, my iBook G4 never gives me an error. I always burn disc images first. Then if I get a burn failure I just wait until the burner cools down.

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I think you're talking about a burner failure. The burner in my iMac that I bought just over a year ago gives me errors sometimes, on various discs. I think it happens because it gets too hot. On the other hand, my iBook G4 never gives me an error. I always burn disc images first. Then if I get a burn failure I just wait until the burner cools down.

13. st1100mw macrumors newbie

burning additional copies of your iDVD project

Okay, I'm running Leopard with whatever the equivalent version of iDVD is. Here's how to do this:
    Right at the end of the processing and burning, it gives you a popup window that says 'if you want to create another dvd, insert it now' (or words to that effect). Put the new DVD in the drive right then (meaning, don't click on anything on your screen). It will go ahead and create additional copy without having to re-process the project.

... repeat as required.
    :)
    mark