Burning music CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fatal Darkness, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Fatal Darkness macrumors newbie

I have a PowerMac G5 and I'm having trouble making music CDs with it. When I create the CDs they play fine in the Mac, but it doesn't produce CDs that are fully compatible with other CD players. For example, my Aiwa CD player won't play them at all, nor will they play in my RCA. However, my PS2 will play them, and they'll play in my Car stereo (Alpine deck) but if I try to skip tracks it takes the player a long time to find the track, as though it's having trouble reading the disk.

I hate to say it but my windows PC burns reliable CDs everytime. I use Sony CD-R media rated at 48x. I've tried with Toast 7 as well as burning from iTunes, and I've tried turning down the burn speed to as low as 24x.

Anyone else have problems burning audio CDs on their Mac?

Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Are you certain you're burning an audio CD and not an MP3 cd? I doubt that's the problem but it's possible... possible if a PS2 and your car deck both can play MP3's.

3. Fatal Darkness thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's definately an Audio CD. It shows up as an Audio CD when I put in the Mac and my car stereo can't play MP3s.

4. taytho macrumors 6502

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

How old is your PowerMac? One of the dirty secrets of optical drives is that every once in a while, the people who make the optical media decide to change things slightly, and the drives stop writing good data (usually they fail outright, other times, like yours, they appear to check out but don't completely work). Firmware updates come out from time to time to "catch up" the drives to the media--but firmware utilities are usually for Windows or floppy disks.

If your firmware is out of date, you may encounter these problems and either have to start buying media that you know works normally or find a way to update your firmware (finding out the model number and plugging it into a PC will do the trick). Someone here might know of a way to update firmware from OS X.

The other possibility is just that that particular media just isn't compatible with your burner. Try burning at a much lower speed (1x or 4x), and if that still doesn't work, switch brands. It's not a Mac-specific problem, it's a general computer thing.

6. philoman9 macrumors newbie

Problems burning Audio CDs with iTunes

I have been experiencing the same issue. My problem though did not start until a few months or so ago when I updated my iTunes on my computer. Prior to the last couple of version updates, it was running fine and the CDs I would burn would work in my car (a 2001 Audi). Once I upgraded the iTunes, the CDs I burned no longer worked in my car stereo.

Any ideas?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Try turning it down to 2x or even 1x and see if that makes any difference. Some CD players can be kinda picky about audio CDs burned at high speeds.

8. kmdezine macrumors newbie

Same problem here. Burn discs work in computer and in my truck, but not at alternate location stero, or alternate vehicle... Don't know why.:confused: