Burning probs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by manni2000, Dec 12, 2006.

1. manni2000 macrumors newbie

Hey Hey,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am wanting to burn a movie from my hard drive. when I insert a black disk, it sounds as if it is oing something, however, after about 30 seconds it spits the disk out?

Also I have tried setting it off to burn when there is no disk in the drive, however it does the same.

I have a macbook, running osx and i am not running any software to burn, just what came with the mac.

thank you

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

are you using the burn folder utility? in which case don't insert the disc untill it asks for it

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Start with some basics...

1) Are you sure that your disc type is compatible with your drive type? You have a superdrive, if you're trying to burn a DVD, yes? And you're using an appropriate media?

2) Have you tried iDVD and then putting the disc in when prompted by iDVD? Or else do tell more about what software you're using, what format the video is in, what you want to view it on, etc.

4. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I read the title and thought "the clap".

I'll echo what previous posters have said and wait till it asks you to insert the disk, and if it still spits it back out, it may be the wrong media type. What type of disc is it (CD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R...etc.)

5. manni2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

confussed.

kk,

I have waited till it asks me to insert the disk and it still spits it out.

with regards to iDVD when it starts it tells me that i do not have a supported superdrive?

i am new to macs and i am fining it all so confussing, however, hope its all good in the long run

i am using a dvd - r

thanks for your help guys

6. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i take it that it reads other dvd's that you have seen working before?

7. manni2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, now we go back to my very first post... DO YOU have a superdrive? You never answered this question. And iDVD thinks you do not. If you do not, then your Mac is not going to burn anything onto a DVD-R....

9. manni2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

where?

I am new to macs, where can I find out if it is a superdrive?

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'm guessing you don't have a superdrive, which would mean you can't burn DVDs ;)

Did you buy the $1099 model?

11. manni2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

well the thing is when i bought the laptop was told i could burn cds and dvds on it. i have checked and it is a combo drive, so ake it i cant then.

i will go back to the shop

thanks for your help

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, sorry you went through that confusion. Hopefully you can get this all straightened out. The Combo drive can read CDs and DVDs and can write CDs. The Superdrive can read and write both. Also be careful as some Macs have DL Superdrives that can write discs larger than 4.7GB and others do not. I think it would be good to get a little familiarity with these features before you go back to the store, otherwise, it's possible you'll just get misled / confused again....

Good luck!