Burning Rewritable Cd on Ibook, OS 10.1.4

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Clawn, May 20, 2002.

1. Clawn macrumors newbie

I tried it many times and it always happens again. Burning a rewritable CD in my i-book (600 mhz, 256 ram) under System 10.1.4 (same in 10.1.2, 10.1.3) is not possible. Neither using Apple's burning software nor using Tost 5.1.3 works. The burning process stops always immediately and an error message appears that says

"the drive reported an error
    sense key=illegal request
    sense code=0x27
    write protected"

The same Cd can be burned trouble free on other computers under the same system software.

Is that a hardware or a software problem?

Single session CD-R burning is trouble free. (internal Sony DVD/CD-RW)

Help is very much appreciated.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Do both the built-in burning as well as Toast give you that same error? If so I'd definitely say that's a hardware problem. Are you putting in a fresh disc or one that's already been written to?

3. Clawn thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a fresh disk. And it happens with Apple's software. Also if trying do do multisession in toast on already written on cr rw or cd r. having some bad luck with my ibook which is bad because i need to use it every day, can't spare time to have it serviced for too long without a replaycement.

Well, thanks for your help and, to answer your other question, this is one of at least two troublesome problems with this ibook. (one being the serial number not showing up in ASProfiler.)

You think they are related?

4. Clawn thread starter macrumors newbie

I sent the i-book off to Apple, appears to be a defect drive after all.

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

do you have the extra applecare by chance? i have to call up applecare about my older powerbook g3 because the audio connections are loose (mic input and speaker output don't work anymore) and i'd like to know how well the applecare guys take care of laptops... ie should i expect to lose data after sending the machine in and do they get it back quickly?

btw i'm sad to hear about your defective drive... that's gotta be the most frustrating thing

6. Clawn thread starter macrumors newbie

it's frustrating. Although still in the one year warranty. takes them about ten days to fix. good thing apple is only two hours drive from here, so shipping won't take too long.
    apple care is pretty expensive ($300 for four years?). i use apple computers for ten years now and never had any problems. i hope their quality control is not becoming lax, like those of other manufacturers.

don't know about the ports getting loose, sorry.

clawn in dawn doesn't yawn.

7. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

the applecare i bought only extends the applecare two years past the first year... that means only a total of 3 years of service (that sucks :()

i don't think the quality is going down... in fact my ipod broke and apple replaced it... they realized these buggers can break somewhat easily and they have secretly "extended" the warranty (in other words they still will repair them without charging you after the warranty is void)

apple has done a fairly decent job with being responsible for their products... i hope if they do convert some more of that 95%, they don't start making "crappier" products and will continue their decent service