Burning smell from iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by eAi, Apr 13, 2005.

1. eAi macrumors newbie

My iMac, one of the swivvelly ones has just started making a burning smell, I'm a bit worried, does anyone know what might cause this? Running OSX 10.2 if that matters.

Thanks,

eAi

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Shut it off. If you are comfortable, take off the bottom and see if their are any burn marks.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

nooooooot good in any way, shape or form. A burning smell from a computer is never justified.

4. mpw Guest

There's a great line in one Simpsons episode where Homer is trying to get credit on an enormous RV and a police car style red flashing light and alarm sound from the computer during the credit check and on noting the alarms Homer asks whether they're a good thing and the salesman in a great southern accent says "Mr Simpson an alarm is never a good thing."

Burning smells from any electrical equipment short of an arc-welder are never a good thing.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This happened to my Windows PC. In that case, the cause was a blown power supply. I suspect your iMac's main power may have failed.

6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Maybe it's just some ants that found their way to a nice, happy warm spot.

Serious, don't turn it on again until you know what it is. Open it yourself or let a tech do it for you.
    I hope you have guarantee or applecare.

Good luck

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

NOT ANTS! :eek: :p

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If you have another Mac, start the iMac up in FireWire Target Disk mode (hold T on startup) and grab everything important as fast as you can off of it. Then shut the iMac down again.

Call AppleCare, too...

9. eAi thread starter macrumors newbie

Just want to clarify. Its not a burning smell, its a kinda plastic-too-hot smell (a bit like disinfectant). I took it appart about half way and cleaned out all the dust which appears to have helped (there was tonnes of it, I was wondering where it had all got to!). Everything is backed up, so I'll wait and see...

10. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Be sure to backup. ;)

11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

If you suspect any issue with your power supply, do not hesitate to call Apple to get it replaced. After talking to my friend, which is an apple technician at a local COMPUSA, he said that nearly every iMac repair he gets it a blown power supply NOT fan issues. He said that on all of them, the power supply damages everything around it, and makes quite a mess. He also stated, that when it's really bad, which he's had quite a few, the HD, Midplane Assembly, and casing all had to be replaced.