burning VOB file to DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brianbkny, Feb 5, 2007.

1. brianbkny macrumors member

I used visual hub to convert an AVI file to DVD, except I chose not to burn the disc when done or author as a DVD, so visual hub produced a VOB file. I was under the impression that I could just drag the VOB into Toast and burn it. Instead when I drag it in, it multiplexes the file and then converts it? Why would Toast convert the file again? Are there any products that can burn the VOB file to make it playable in a DVD player?

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Toast should have an option under video called "DVD-Video" or "VIDEO_TS Folder"

Try that

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Toast may be trying to reduce the image to fit on a DVD-R. Is it too large?

If it's the right size to fit you could try DVD Imager, which will create a DVD image you can burn with disk utility. It's free.

4. brianbkny thread starter macrumors member

All the files are under 2.5gigs. They are just VOB files named MovieTitle.vob, there is no VIDEO_TS folder.

5. brianbkny thread starter macrumors member

it was a toast 8 problem. went back to 7.1.2, doesn't reconvert the VOB.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

a VOB file is useless without an authored disc to go with it.

You CAN play VOB files in VLC and the like, but you cant just burn a VOB to a DVD-R and expect it to play in set top players. It wont.

A set top player, and any software package for playing DVDs, needs something to tell it what this VOB is. Typically it is a Menu or a "first play" command.

With a VOB file, you need an authoring program to AUTHOR a DVD.

A DVD that you buy at Best Buy, IS NOT simply a data disc with VOB files on it.

it is a AUTHORED disc that used software to create all the necessary files and folders needed to play on a set top DVD player.

you need an authoring program, or something that CAN create DVD videos from video files. toast can do it....