burning vs. external hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by homeshire, Aug 18, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Ohio, looking toward Germany
    i'm getting tired of burning cd/dvd for backup, and had the thought that i might be better off with a modest external hard drive, e.g. 10/20 gb. i only want to backup iPhoto, iTunes, and a couple other folders that tend to change consistently, and i really think external hd is the better path. but i'm not really knowledgeable and thought i would ask for comments on my thoughts in general, and specifically some recommendations on exernal hd. thanks
  2. macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Well, there really is nothing better than a live backup like an HD can provide.

Personally, I have a third internal that is expressly in existence to clone to, but that's a clone - e.g. everything and is bootable.

But you have the right idea, though I'd get an HD large enough to hold a backup of your "home" folder.

Then I'd look at a file sinchronizer like Softobe's FoldersSynchronizer so that you don't have to copy everything every time - it only synchs what has changed. Think of it as a mirror.
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 1, 2002