Burning Widescreen Movies in iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rohopish, Mar 17, 2007.

1. rohopish macrumors member

Hey there everyone. Just a quick question.

I recently burned a widescreen, wide-aspect ratio, wide-whatever-you-want-to-call-it in iDVD. I knew it was widescreen because in Quicktime, the film definitely is not a square, more like a rectangle. Anyway, after the DVD was sucessfully burned, I poped it into a normal DVD player and played it on my TV (which is not a widescreen TV and shows those two beloved black bars on the top and bottom of the video). Well, there were no black bars and the movie covered the whole screen. I think it either cut off the sides, shrunk it, or something. Funny thing is that in DVD Player in OS X Tiger, it plays as a widescreen movie... =S

So what I would like to know is, how can I burn a widescreen movie onto a DVD in iDVD so that it plays widescreen on a normal TV and DVD player?

By the way, upon authoring the DVD, I selected "Widescreen (16:9)" aspect ration at the main menu. Could this have caused the problem?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP. =D

--Bobby

P.S. What's better, "Best Quality" or "Best Performance" for burning DVD's in iDVD? Thanks again. =)

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not sure about the first question. Have you looked for an option like letterbox format?

As for quality versus performance it is pretty straight forward. If you are doing a DVD just to see the results as a test then choose performance. If you are doing the final master copy choose quality.