Burning XP-Compatible CDS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 18thTomorrow, Aug 29, 2004.

1. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I need to know the best way (or at least a valid way) to burn Windows XP-compatible CDs with my SuperDrive. My friend owns a late-model Dell laptop and she wasn't able to open the photo cd I burned for her. I burned it by putting the photos in a folder, then making them into a dmg and burning that to a CD using disk utility. Is there an easier/better way?
    Thanks

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

For photos, you may try the Burn button in iPhoto, but for general burning Toast may be the best program for PC-compatible CDs.

Lee Tom

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I have to ask, why did you put them in a .dmg? :confused:

If it were me, I would have just dragged them on the CD, then dragged the CD to the trash to burn it.

But if that doesn't work, you could always use Toast.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

musicpyrite has a good point - using a DMG is not really necessary for what you're trying to do. Just drag the photos you want burned to the CD, then try to eject it - Mac OS X will ask you if you want to burn it. Go ahead and burn it - the resulting data CD will be readable in both Macs and Windows PCs.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Heheh, wouldn't be the first time I've heard of people trying to make things more complicated then they need to be on a Mac. Kinda like on a PC. :D

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh, I remember going the 'long way' the first time I tried to make a Windows-compatible CD. I was such a newbie back then :rolleyes:

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

The only problem I find is that when I burn a data CD via Finder, the result is a Mac-only CD, which isn't readable in PC's. This kinda stinks and I think it would be smart of Apple to burn a CD that is readable by both.

8. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

like they said above

when you put in the cd, choose Finder as the program you want to use. The CD will show up on your desktop, drag files you want to burn, in this case photos. If you have a Finder window open, and the cd is on the list to the left, then you should be able to hit the Toxic sign next to it and it will start the burn process.

9. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

What is DMG?

What is DMG in the first place (newbiw here)?

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    disk image that you can mount

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

DMG is the file extension for Apple's 'Disk Image' file type. Disk images behave very much like real disks - you double-click an image file, and it mounts like any other volume would. Ejecting the disk image makes the icon go away, but you can always mount it again if you need it back.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

How funny. I've never had this problem - every single CD I've burned in Finder was readable on my PC - even if the volume name didn't show up correctly. Of course, I couldn't access Mac-only file types like 'DMG' on my PC, but the CD could be browsed from Windows.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are doing something wrong and you are putting yourself to extra trouble to do it. Whenever I use the Finder to burn a data CD, it is PC-combatible by default.