burnt out thompson drive in xbox

Discussion in 'Games' started by kinsella93, Nov 13, 2005.

1. kinsella93 macrumors member

I have had an xbox now for about a year and it recently kicked the bucket. It says i have a disk error after a solid 3 minutes of clicking and grinding, this is due to the faulty thompson drive in the xbox. i was wondering what would be the best way to get this fixed and a ball park of how much it would be. thanks!

P.S. - Anyone else have this problem??

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

you could find a replacement drive on eBay and install it yourself, its a very easy job you just need the correct screwdrivers and its a piece of cake,

SHadow

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Correct! The drive itself should be too proprietary, unlike the hard drives which are a pain in the ass to switch out (because of the bios having to be installed).

You could probably get a new drive for 20-30. Repalcement takes about 25 minutes, if that.

4. kinsella93 thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys thanks for the options. I think i make this my first little modding project! :)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm near certain you can install any DVD drive you want into an Xbox. its not as hard as installing a new HDD with all those serial numbers and stuff.

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

You can't actually install any DVD-rom in an xbox as they wont fit and they have a different connection for power...

The official xbox drives are shaped to fit in the slot of the xbox, have a look on ebay for "xbox dvd-rom" and you should find what youre looking for..

If your in the UK check this link

Or in USA or elsewhere world wide...... Link

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

thats funny, im sure that I read a guy somewhere had a DVD-RW in his Xbox. it probably needs internal convertors for the power and some kind of mod to fit it in. this was about 2 years ago though :) my memory it fades!