Bus driver who flipped off Bush fights for job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KingYaba, Nov 2, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/290866_bushfinger02.html
    I love stories like this. :) What do you think? Wrongfully terminated?

It's an old story, I know... just stumbled upon it.

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Wrongfully terminated. While I agree that she was being a poor example for the children, this just strikes me as an excuse, rather than the reason to fire her.
    Furthermore, it's interesting that the article mentions that Bush noticed the gesture. Apparently, Bush is such a thin-skinned jerk that he had someone fired from their job because they offended his delicate sensibility.

But, then this comes from my very jaundiced eye regarding the man.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Surely the driver deserves a pay rise. Or maybe a promotion.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wrongfully terminated.

if it wasn't the president. they would be repremanded first, i doubt this qualifies and termination as a first offence.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

King George, your either with us or you are helping the terrorists. She must be a terrorist insurgent and wants to cut n run.:D clearly her bird was a WMD. Imagine this president and say a congress thats 75% republican? think he would declare himself King?

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

yeah, i'd fire her.

School bus drivers shouldnt flip off anyone, including the president.

end of story

7. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

I was thinking a medal would be appropriate when I read it, but a pay rise or a promotion would do fine.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No you got it all wrong Giant keeper, if anyone should be flipped off its this president. You dont take a nation to war then say oops no WMDs, but whats worse is wanting to stay the course. Bus driver deserves a medal.:)

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

if the kids couldnt see it, no harm no foul.

bus drivers are responsible for all the children they drive so long as they are on the bus. part of that is being mature and curteous.

if he chose to make the gesture, thats fine, but was doing it WHERE and WHEN he did it, ok? I am not sure.

personally, my hat is off to this person.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its a disaster if president of US couldn't get a people fired, considering he can throw anybody in prison forever. :p

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

and without trial you forgot to add, he's been holding people for 4 years now. Freedom & Liberty & Justice are now just spin words if you ask me.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the reason i don't blame the bus driver for being upset witht he president:

yes, the war, but for this particular example...

your job is to cart these kids around, but the president is in town, and you can't get where you're going because everything has to shut down for the president to pass through. it really annoys me when the president is here in chicago and the entrance ramps to the expressways are blocked off so he can drive through. i'm sure the motorcade had the streets blocked off on their route and the bus driver couldn't get to where they needed to go. its a bit frustrating, no? and unneccissary.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Termination is too much, but there is no reason to act inappropriately on the job.

However, I'd be surprised if the president really noticed. It's more likely that the SS saw what she did.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

In my day the whole bus load of kids would have mooned the SOB :D

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It was definitely inappropriate behavior in front of the kids, and not a great way to express your frustration... but firing seems a bit extreme. Unless this wasn't the first time, if this was some kind of repeated problem and the straw that broke the camels back vs. a first time offense, I can't see where they have the legal ground to do such a thing for such a small incident. If it was Clinton, why do I have a feeling we'd all just be having a laugh?

16. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Moral of the story: Don't flip off Bush while on the clock? :confused:

17. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Simple:

Children saw and complained? ---> Fire her

No Children saw and Bush complained ---> Fire Him

18. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Exactly! Well said.

Wrong! Regardless of your views, as skewed as they may or may not be, the President is the President of this nation and deserves to be respected as such. I doubt such a gesture would be tolerated in any other country, the driver should at least be glad they got that far.

19. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

While I'll I aggree with your first reply the second one is totally incorrect. To say that becuase other countries wouldn't allow it so we shouldn't either goes exactly against all American principles.

Yes he is the president, but it does not mean he deserves respect from anyone that doesn't want to give it to him. It also does not mean they have the right to go number 2 on his face or something...

Maybe I am taking your example wrong, but it kinda seems to not fit here. Sounds like freedom of speech to me or freedom of gesture to me.

Now I'm not saying she didn't deserve it because I think she totaly did! If she would have done that to anyone else say a local grandma driving by, and grandma complained there be consequences! and rightly so. It just doesn't seem to fit to say Oh cause other countries don't tolerate it Then America should not either.

20. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Bah, I think that in any western european country it would have been a non-issue.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's completely against everything America stands for. We fought so we could speak out against our leadership, because they work for us, not the other way around. Respect is earned, not forced upon.

I can think of a couple of countries where you wouldn't be allowed to show your disapproval of your leadership no matter what, and I can't say I'd want to live in any of them or turn us into anything like that.

22. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I say flip off the president and burn the damn flag! :mad:

Wow.... I've come along way since joining MacRumors. :eek:

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What this all boils down to is this President after swearing to defend our CONSTITUTION, and OUR BORDERS has done the opposite. After removing all respect for our Nation with his Iraq thingy, having our troops in harms way for no WMDs he has in essence removed all respect for the Office of the President,all respect for this Nation of ours. He deserves the Bird and deserves to be thrown out of office along with his entire staff and VP. Bin Laden did 911.

But I know Republicans are still more upset about Clintons stupid affair then they are about a president who's decisions has led to the deaths of thousands,400 billion $$$ and counting, his attacks on the Geneva Convention,our Constitution, and his ignoring the mexican invasion for corporate greed. You want respect you must earn it.

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I have absolutely no respect for Bush, because he has no respect for anybody but himself. Like other people had said, if this had happened anywhere in Western Europe, it wouldn't have even made it to the news.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

People have to earn my respect, they don't gain it automatically. The president is the same way, and not once in his 6 years in office has he earned my respect. And people who don't have my respect are likely to see rude gestures from me.

Over the summer, I almost had a chance to flip off the president, I was at a meeting on a street he'd be driving down. But the meeting let out early so we wouldn't have to worry about traffic. Otherwise, had I seen his motorcade, I would have flipped him off :D