Bus error when booting with OS9.2

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by legarem, Dec 22, 2004.

1. legarem macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    My IBook G3/600 sometimes shows a bus error window with a bomb when I boot it with the OS9.2.

I have to restart it. Sometimes it is correct after restarting it or I have to restart it until it doesn't show this window.

Do someone has an idea about repairing this problem ?

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
  3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Can it boot from Mac OS 9.2 with extensions disabled? (i.e. try restarting in Mac OS 9 while pressing the < SHIFT > key, until "extensions disabled" notice appears).

It frequently occurs that a pref file is damaged. Try removing the System Folder:prefernces Folder to the desktop and restart normally.

Sometime the Bus-error displays more or less which error led to the Bus-error. Try deleting the pref corresponding to that displayed error.
  4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I remember back in my Mac OS 9 days having to troubleshoot these kinds of issues. The first thing I always tried is booting with extensions disabled (as a previous poster explained). If that works, then I test for extension conflicts (I used to use Conflict Catcher for this task - sadly, the company that made it has gone out of business). If that doesn't work, then I boot the Mac from a system CD and look for other possible causes, including corrupted fonts, corrupted preferences, and corrupted system resources. Corrupted fonts and preferences are fixed by deleting the offending font/preference file. Corrupted system resources can only be fixed with a reinstall of Mac OS 9.