Bus Error?!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by dddddd, Nov 8, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2005
    Hello -

I have started coding C since September and am trying to compile a program which works as a very rudimentary code breaker (utilizing english language letter frequencies).

I have managed to find the letter frequencies of a document and sort them - but was trying to find a way to read the input (which was originally stdin from the keyboard) a second time in order to replace the original letters with new letters.

It was suggested that I read from a second file in the same directory using fopen and fgetc to read it - but when i try that I am getting a bus error. Yet it seems to work when compiled on a windows system. What might I be doing wrong? I can send the code if that is helpful.

Thanks -
  2. macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    libraries and compilers are quite different between windows dev studio and gcc. post your code snippet and the full error message.
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    A bus error is basically a memory error. You are probably either trying to read memory you have freed or you are reading past the end of a buffer you have allocated.
  4. macrumors regular

May 23, 2005