Bush Adapts, but Won't Call It That

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 3, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-response3jan03,0,5489361.story

2. makisushi macrumors 6502

I say good for Bush willing to assess and re-assess situations.
    Now IJ...I think that the LA Times does have tendancy to bash Bush, so I take their spin of "executing U-turns" with a grain of salt.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, the Times does not have a tendency to bash Bush. The only spin is the from the Bush flipping and flopping, which he's done with grim regularity on issues great and small. Even you can't seem to decide whether they're "u-turns" or "reassessments."

Speaking out about the Indian Ocean tsunami -- now that was a tough call for a "compassionate conservative." No, better wait a few days until you know wether the death-toll is large enough to deserve your attention...

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you saying Bush doesn't execute U-turns (AKA flip-flop) when he feels like it???? I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head...

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Surely what it shows is a fundamental lack of judgment. What would he do if something really serious happened? Press the button and then think again? Face it, the guy's not all there. His "leadership" is from the back, and his instinctive reactions are plain dangerous.

6. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Bush is perhaps the most ignorant and dangerous leader since Hitler.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

More dangerous than Pol Pot or Stalin?

When anybody uses Hitler as a comparison in any argument... :rolleyes:

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    my favorite tidbit:
    it's hard work being a disinterested loafer...hard, hard work.

9. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Bush's war on Iraq, and some would argue a wholely unjustified, illegal, killed an estimated 50,000-100,000 civilians. Sounds like a war crime to me.

Bush policy of a "christian crusade" to rid of "evil doers" sounds pretty much like Hitler's decree to "purge" the Jews. What Bush considers "evil-doers", others consider "freedom fighters". Who's right?

American security is always at risk when American's have rockets stationed in someone else's backyard.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey look, another one of those lovely unsubstatiated turds that gets dropped in the political forum from time to time!

Curb your mind buddy!

Or at least provide some justification for your opinion. As BV noted, there are other leaders who have certainly killed more than Bush since the 1950s.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's one of those "exaggerations" again...

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd call it fundamental lack of engagement. I think this President is trying to get through his eight years with as little effort as possible, which is his life story actually. We elected a Slacker in Chief.

13. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

I agree but where do we draw the line?

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ordinarily, "playing the Hitler card" is considered out of line in forums, because it's usually just vicious hyperbole.

However, this isn't the first time I've seen this parallel drawn. It's scary that Bush's agenda is so right-wing that comparisons to Hitler do not seem all that far-fetched.

Put together an arrogant "I'm always right" leader with a cabinet of like-minded far-right-wingers, start restricting civil liberties, adopt an "if you're not with us, you're against us" attitude, start a war against a country which didn't attack you, and target the young and the uneducated with Orwellian distortions of the truth in order to back up your behavior, and yes, I think you have the makings of a comparison to Hitler, if (so far) only in the early formative years of the Nazi party. (takes breath after long sentence)

No, of course Bush hasn't killed nearly as many people, and he's not as bloodthirsty, but he is following the same path, even if he hasn't gone as far.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I draw a line at drive-by one-liners with no substantiation myself.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've got no problems with answers that contain substantiation (like this one). I just don't like to see "Bush is worse than Hitler" and that's it.

17. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Bush is ignorant. You want an example?

He has not learned the history lesson from Lyndon Johnson's Vietnam war. When you occupy a foreign country, do not expect its citizen to peacefully surrender. They will fight til the death against any oppressor. It is this fundamental human nature that the war in Iraq will not win and a forceful push to democracy will not succeed. You only need history to provide you with the answers.

Bush has become so ignorant and determined, he will lead Americans to a path that only leads to death. You do not win a war by engaging in war. Has Bush not heed his own Christian beliefs of "thou shall turn the other cheek?"

18. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Perhaps you need your eyes checked. I said "Bush is perhaps the most ignorant and dangerous leader since Hitler."

Anyways I f**king hate Bush, and I thank God I live in Canada where our Prime Minister is a little more even-headed.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Much better. :p

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wasn't singleing you out. That's why I didn't quote you directly. Kettle was the last person to drop a turd in here and it was a conservative one.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You mean the image of him being on vacation when something bad is happening, doing nothing, then very little, then a complete 180 and attempting to turn a tragedy into political gain? *cough* 9/11 *cough* Can't tarnish something that's already as tarnished as that.

He can act like he cares, make it blatantly obvious he doesn't, having no understanding of the issue, and it will slide right off of him as people quickly forget. Only for him to do the same type of thing again. 4 more years. How can people defend this guy? He was against the formation of a national security agency, before he was for it, and claimed it as his own. Against the 9/11 commission. Underfunds programs like No Child Left Behind and Clear Skies.

This guy is the definition of flip-flopper.