Bush Administration Offered Saddam Freedom; Return to Power

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mac-er, Aug 9, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

Kind of old, but I just found it....this is how dirty the Bush Administration.
    Our soldiers died for this??

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Di...month=May2005&file=World_News200505026563.xml

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That goes double for me.

Besides, I thought we were doing great in Iraq. One more corner to turn and we're home free. Or didn't you know there will be a constitution on the 15th and then all problems will cease?

I know, I know, the same thing was said about the fall of Baghdad, and about the capture of Saddam, and about the purple-fingered election, and about the provisional government.

But THIS time will fix everything and our troops will be home for Christmas.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not about stupidity. It's about this administration being the worst one in a long time. It's about this administration being one of the most corrupt we've had in a long time.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I find this report to strain credibility/plausability. This stems from:

(a) AFAIK, Saddam was a secular leader in the Arab world, which would hardly make him that popular among the Muslim population at large. Relatedly, his government insofar as it was religiously-based was bathist (iirc), which like Assad in Syria, is a particularily despised credo by the vast majority of mainstream Muslim faiths.

(b) Saddam, who may have been popular while in power, by the sole virtue of him being able to keep the country stable and therefore contribute to the Arab world's goals as a whole (such as oil production). He no longer has those aces in the hole out of power.

(c) Even if both (a) and (b) were wrong, he would have little credibility merely by the perception that the US was behind his release/reinstatement.

I, unlike some on this board do not find the Bush Administration to be stupid or inept, at least not be design, but rather unconcerned with the effects of their actions other than what relates to their real goals (not publicly-stated ones). I cannot see them pursuing this action, as I cannot find any possible benefit to those with power/interest in this country or the ME.

Perhaps I am missing something...

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. drison macrumors regular

drison

Eh, their all corrupt. So, if you swing left, the right is corrupt and if you swing right, the left is corrupt. Look around you. The world is a freaking dangerous and "corrupt" place. Last presidency we had the "Clinton sex scandal". This one we have the "Bush administration war". You can't take sides, only love ones family and country and support your fellow man.

-Dave

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

God Bless America!

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think the Google ads software is developing AI with a very dark sense of humour.

11. drison macrumors regular

drison

Was that sarcasm I detect?

-Dave :)

12. stillwater macrumors regular

I think you hit the nail on the head. These guys just don't care how their actions effect anyone except for their corporate partners in crime.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Saddam is in the custody of the Iraqi Goverment and being guarded by the Americans. There is no way the Iraqi Goverment would "OK" the deal because I am pretty sure it is universal in Iraqi that a large majority Iraqi people want him tried and shot.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=48707

14. diamond geezer macrumors regular