Bush Administration Tapping Bank Records...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Jun 23, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Washington Post

The Bush administration, relying on a presidential declaration of emergency, has secretly been tapping into a vast global database of confidential financial transactions for nearly five years, according to U.S. government and industry officials.

Initiated shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, the surveillance program has used a broad new interpretation of the Treasury Department's administrative powers to bypass traditional banking privacy protections. It has swept in large volumes of international money transfers, including many made by U.S. citizens and residents, in an effort to track the locations, identities and activities of suspected terrorists.

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I saw this on Huffington Post.

It seems that this administration will stop at nothing to find any advantage they can to stay in power.

Bank records, phone records anything that they can use to track the activities
    of leakers, political opponents and journalists.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bush is checking out bank accounts now

Given the fact that the administration was "only" listening in on international calls, and then we found out later that they are also keeping records of domestic calls, this does not inspire me with confidence. They're even whining the same tune: "Every time someone reveals what we're doing, it hurts the anti-terrorism effort." Please.

CNN link

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?

5. Queso macrumors G4

Well, if they know what transactions we've been doing, it's only fair that we know how much Cheney, Rumsfeld and Bush Sr. have been receiving and moving during this War On Terror™ they've been holding. I expect they'll note this and publish their accounts shortly...

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This news isn't so bad. Maybe he'll see that no one in the working class has any money thanks to his ****** economy and decide to help out the country's own people....

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, they already know that. They actually seem to like making it worse. Helps the bottom line for their corporate buddies. God, I can't believe I'm even saying such a thing as being obvious. This is just like some paranoid nightmare come true. If anyone had said this was happening years ago, I would have called them a nut. But there it is. As I've said, apparently the price of freedom is freedom.

Don't suppose a warrant was involved.

8. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Nothing fills me with terror more than the Bush Administration and the things it does in attempts to stop "terrorists".

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think I finally understand why we don't seem to put any suspected "terrorists" on trial. Based on the current evidence gathering going on by this administration, almost every case would be thrown out of court before it even starts since none of the evidence would be admissible.

Can you imagine the reaction if we get a Democrat in the WH in '08 and trials start getting thrown out? Yet somehow it will be the fault of the Democrats for ruining the perfectly good policies of this administration....

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is why warrants are so important besides the obvious reasons. You're supposed to need to prove wrong doing before a conviction. If this ever came up, they either wouldn't have evidence or wouldn't be able to present what they had. They can listen to all the phone calls they want, or tap phone records, or watch you on the internet. They can't do anything about what they found if it ever got to a court.

Of course, as you said, sometimes it never gets to court, which is scary enough in and of itself.

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't the "interesting" transactions be big dollar amounts that are floating about? If it's taking place in this country, the FBI automatically gets notified about any transfers of $10,000 or more, so why not just go ask the FBI for their records?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i doubt it's limited to that. they're most likely looking at unexplained patterns of income and outgoing, plus one-offs and two-offs of people of interest.

and the goings on of Democratic politicians, of course.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You never know. You might get a big lead just by following some Muslim guy's $29.95 subscription renewal to TerrorAddict.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Terrorists are smart. If they transfer amounts slightly less than 10K, it goes unreported.

That's why it won't work.

15. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Is it me or is this entire administration starting to sound like Joe McCarthy?

Just replace "communism" with "terrorism." :rolleyes:

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

There was a guy who sent in an e-mail to CNN this morning who pointed out that very thing. Then again, I'm too young to have any memories of the McCarthy era, so I can't attest to how it was really like then.

It seems to me that the government running around looking for terrorists under every rock and pillow is exactly what the bad guys want.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Double talk,BS, and spin.

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Terrorism, McCarthyism or a modern day Witch hunt.

And now the ever present attempts to divide the citizens on social issues
    so they can continue their agenda.

These people have done their homework.
    They know human nature and they know that ignorance and apathy
    are their most effective weapons of mass deception.

While WE THE PEOPLE greatly outnumber those in power,
    we continue to stand by and allow these traitors to do
    what ever they want.

It appears that we have learned nothing from history.

I find it shameful that we are so wrapped up in our own self serving
    existence, that we stand to lose everything that our country once stood for.

There should be hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people screaming
    in the streets for justice.

What could be more important?

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm going to risk ridicule by going into "old fogey/stuck in the '60s" mode.

This country has changed so much since I was a teen. Nixon, Watergate and the Vietnam war carried many of the same themes (domestic spying, a pointless ongoing war, etc.), but even that era didn't achieve the kind of dangerous constitutional abuse we see today.

My point is that back then, protests were frequent, large and sometimes even violent. I remember quite a few campus riots that were put down by means of tear gas and batons. Nowadays, in the face of even greater internal threats to our country, we just sit around like a bunch of ******* (rhymes with "wussies").

Last summer there were at least two or three large, well-publicized national protests held in Washington, D.C. Yet here we are at the end of June, and so far nothing. United for Peace and Justice seems to be trying to organize something for July 4, but only on a local-city basis.

20. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Powerbook G5 this Tuesday. :D

21. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ahh... the revolutionary and naive spirit of the sixties....

I've grown up cataloging the changes in my parent's generation brought about by the measures used to put down that call for change.

The real idealistic push came only after the three greatest voices for change were assasinated in highly suspect and systematic executions.

The Martyrs of the CIvil Rights Era, including the dead personnel in the Vietnam theater contributed to the outrage needed to push complacency over the edge. But those same losses made for a hollow victory in but a few battles against an enemy whose numbers were not dimminished as much as our own. We lost by attrition a war for our rights and heritage.

Now we live in a society so abundant with extremist noise of all possible flavors that gleaning facts from the schizoid bedlam of hysteria on the web, the over-edited pap in print and the bloodthirsty propoganda of television has become nearly impossible.

My parents' generation were broken on the wheel as surely as jews under torquemada oppression. They were born into a bright and clean new world just emerging from half a century of war and strife. Little did they know that the peace and prosperity that allowed them the luxury of outrage had been bought at the expense of their children's hopes and dreams.

I can't be as angry about this as I should. I feel you TV but you didn't have a chance. All our souls were bought and sold before you or I were born.

I will not lose myself in paranoia, nor will I go down into the pit of depressed apathy. I choose to stand on the sword edge of reason, ballanced between the pit of apathy and the cutting edge of hysteria.

We, your sons and daughters who see clearly will not let the dream die. I promise this to you, to my parents and to my son and his generation. We will take it back, all of it.

There can be no armed rebellion, as Gaul against Rome the revolution must come from within. We will userp, subvert, confound and spread thin the machinations of those who would oppress and destroy that which has inspired millions to come in search of a new life, and millions more to fight to make that dream their own.

Do not be drawn into the pit. Do not throw yourselves on the blades of unreasoning furvor. Stand up, know yourselves to be patriots. Know the game and use it against those who would destroy us all.

Ascention is at hand, but we must make it our own. Only we, the people can take for all mankind what would otherwise be stolen away forever.

22. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I"m amazed the US government thinks it's just fine and dandy to tap phone lines and bank transactions - internationally! How would they feel if Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, whoever, was doing the same to them? Would that not be interpreted as an act of aggression against homeland security etc. etc. and thus initiate acts of patriotism in the form of global slaughtering, and the renaming of french fries.

What a bunch of Asshats™

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The Orange Revolution in the Ukraine is evidence that we CAN stand together
    peacefully and make a difference.

We may also express our outrage in the written word, but our leadership is so deeply corrupt, that our words alone have proven ineffective.

Each and every one of us must make a sincere effort to find and then support
    a worthy local representative.
    No easy task and it will probably take the efforts of the next generation
    before we see any meaningful difference.

For now, all we can do is to speak loudly and do our best to organize
    the return of honor and integrity to our leadership.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And you think other countries aren't doing/trying to do this as well.

Funny. ;)

25. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Of course there's always international espionage going on, usually covert, but if these countries posted up in the daily paper what they were doing you don't think the US would react more violently than how the rest of the world has currently responded to the US doing this? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the US being tolerant in matters such as this (foreign countries openly spying on them).