Bush admits to CIA secret prisons

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I suppose the fact Bush was forced to admit the existence of secret prisons run by the CIA should be seen as a step in the right direction, but the fact my country has fallen to this level of conduct is so dismaying that it is hard to see the positive aspect of the story.

BBC

The denial of the use of torture should be viewed in the context of the Administration's denial that any interrogation techniques that aren't "intended to cause organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or death" are not torture. Add to this the sub-contracting of torture through "extraordinary rendition" and we have a denial that is not worth the breath it takes to speak it.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wasn't Right Blog-o-stan jumping up and down and accusing the NYTimes of treason for saying what Bush just said about the secret prisons?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i hereby invent the term: East Blogostan.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Can you point it out on a map?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nah, he's got a US education.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"Mr Garbagemind, tear down this web."

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"We won't be needing it these ten years." Right.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whatever the Voices tell them, I suppose.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, just follow one rule "treat people as you want be treated by others", whatever Mr Bush is doing, unless he can be sure US won't be involved in any more war, he need to think about next time what would happen when American soldier get captured.
    Double standard is killing American's reputation, something has been building up so hard in the past 50 years.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Do I recall the Bush administration denying these ever existed about a few months ago? :D

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And accusing some WaPo reporters of treason, and threatening them with jail time for reporting about these prisons.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yeah this is real pathetic. Scares the crap out of me that one could be simply arrested and thrown to these prisons under terror charges. KGB anyone?

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No charges required. Just suspicion. Uncle Joe would be proud.

15. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

the thing that I absolutely can't stand is that the provision which would give the CIA/NSA powers of arrest (which by charter they don't have) is part of a CIA/NSA funding re-authorization bill. So if you vote against it, you've voted against a "national security" issue and you'll be crucified for it during your re-election bid.

I !@#$ing HATE the Republican party :mad:

16. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I would like to second, third and fourth that feeling.:D

The terror-police state they are re-inventing and imposing is abhorent.
    I remember a little thing that stemmed from the "terror" card and a money grubbing government a while back, maybe you do to. It was later called World War II.
    And if you are up on your history you would know that the Bush family, namely Prescott Bush, grandfather of George W. Bush, was a Nazi supporter- and banker, smuggler, propagandist and profiteer. ISYN.
    George Herbert Walker Bush was in the CIA when they invented the concept of covert torture camps back in Cuba. They've been doing this since the 40's and no one seems to have noticed.

The push for CIA/ NSA arrest powers is an obvious move toward a specialized or "secret" police. The police that knows your life and where you are anytime they might want to kidnap you- uh, I mean arrest you for "a few short questions..."