Bush adviser quits after appearing in swift boat ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/21/edwards.swiftboat/index.html

Damn. I was hoping it was Karl Rove. :D

This whole thing seems to be backfiring on Bush and/or the renegade Swifties, though. Yesterday an editor at the Chicago Tribune, who was there and who'd previously been silent on the issue, corroborated Kerry's version of what happened:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

one of the guys in the ad admitted what he'd said was simply hearsay -- repeated from someone else who claimed to be there. if we can apply that loose standard, then just about anyone can be counted, eh?

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Is that how you judge who tells the truth? There are Vietnam era vets who don't like the role Kerry played in the anti-war movement after he returned, but what does that animosity have to do with lies about his service? Stelliform, check out the many facts that have been posted on this topic and then try to see the lies of these ads for what they are.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There were 3 officers there that day. One dead, one is John Kerry, one is the newspaper reporter who just corroborated Kerry's version of events.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Glad to see that Bush has finally seen fit to condemn the ads. And call for campaign ad reform, that was to been taken care under the law.

6. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

That would be the same guy who recommended Kerry for his Bronze star, in writting, based on hearsay. So sure lets do that. :D

7. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I want to see Kerry sue swift boats against kerry group for slander and libel.
    I want to see the evidence that both sides will have to produce.
    I want the judge to subpeana all of Kerry's military and medical records as evidence in the case.
    I want to see who'll win it.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You know, I overheard this commentary (on FOX News, no less) yesterday or today, and the gist of it was as such:

" I don't think the candidates should be battling it out about events 30 years old...as whether GW Bush is a evaded service, or whether Kerry's service was as heroic as he implies...as important as these issues may seem to some, there are plenty of decent issues here in the NOW, that the public should be clamoring for and the candidates should be discussing...all this talk of the past is distracting and somewhat irrelevant..."

(above paraphrased by me)

Now many people will argue the reason these things are an issue (ranging from the GOP Spin/Distraction Machine, to the Kerry Campaign using a relatively short military tenure as a lynchpin of his Campaign...to the nature of the media in general.)

Once again, I have to re-itterate, why should anyone care? Why is the behavior of a young 20-something supposed to be indicitative of the character of a middle-aged, wiser adult with 30 more years of life experience?

I just think this is all the epitome of stupid...on both sides. Sorry to rant a little, but there is plenty for the candidates to harp on that is RECENT...why a trip down memory lane...

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Leo, I still want to see Bush taken in for war crimes....

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Any court action would take far, far longer than the time between today and election day. By then Kerry's either the also-ran or he's the POTUS. Either way, the matter will be moot by then.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I wouldn't rely on World Net Daily for my news.

Ever see The Contender?
    "To answer the questions would mean it was acceptable for them to be asked in the first place."

You don't address bottom-feeding scum unless you are bottom feeding scum. You don't stoop to their level. Should Clinton have come out and denied allegations that he'd murdered people? Why give loonies a forum?
    Should he have allowed all the conspiracy whackos to sit down with him and interview him, so he could "respond on a point by point basis"?

By your reasoning, it's only fair that Bush and Cheney should address Moore's F9/11 accusations (which have official documentation to support them, not hearsay) on a point by point basis.

You have a double standard for your Rs and Ds methinks.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If anyone has the chance to see The Daily Show today (monday) or its repeat. Do. I'm almost sad that the show isn't taken too seriously, because they point out thing point blank, and people laugh, rather than being shocked.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

How do you feel about the duck and cover that GW and Dick have done?

Reminder Dick does not want the the records of energy meetings he held made public.

Also he and GW did not want to testify at the the 9-11 commission. Then they only agreed after they were given the ability to meet NOT under oath.

I can't remember if you had such feelings over these issues as you do over Kerry's call for responsible campaign ads.

My question is what is GW afraid of?

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Freedom of speech does not include the freedom to lie :rolleyes:

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have not seen the episode that you mentioned. I have seen others and understand what you mean. There are times given my "liberal" leanings that what has been said there has given me a pause for serious thought.

There are many people that don't realize that "comic's" are a source to be able to look deep in ourselves. To realize our biases and prejudices.

Even though I consider myself to be a "liberal", I find myself agreeing with the "conservative" comic at times. Too bad that many more people can't see themselves in the comic relief that some shows give. We do learn from situations like that; if we are willing.

16. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Tell Kerry that. :rolleyes:

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It isn't Kerry who needs to be told that. It is the SBVT and those who think them shutting up is a violation of their freedom of speech.

18. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Someone needs to go and look up the deffinition of free speech.

19. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Someone needs to go look up the definition of slander.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Someone needs to understand that some things are worth saying and some things are not.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

someone needs to stop kicking a dead horse...especially since we shouldn't be talking about horses in the first place...

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that horse isn't even dead! that's a self-inflicted wound that didn't even bleed! and he was awarded the preakness! aggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Lying is not included in free speech :rolleyes: Think about it for a sec.

24. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Is it my imagination or are the people around here a bit crankier than usual?

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Another of the SVBT crowd has admitted he only heard about Kerry's actions thirdhand, yet he signed an affidavit swearing to having personal knowledge of the events of that day.

Link